Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: You can now bill for your channel through Roku

"retrotom" wrote:
I was wondering if the subscription model has multiple levels or options. For instance, will be able to say "$X monthly", "$X every 6 months", and "$X annually"? Many subscription models allow for this and give certain discounts for longer renewal rates.

Monthly or annually for subscriptions.
0 Kudos
GandK-Geoff
Visitor

Is there any functionality available that would allow us to give users limited time or one time use discount/free codes?

A few examples:

• A marketing promo in which the first 50 users to respond get a code that will let them get our newest app free, instead of normal price.

• Completing all levels in a puzzle game reveals a code good for half off any other game we make.

• "Use this code this Saturday only and get $1 off of all our paid apps."

Having implemented promo systems before, I'm aware the above is a fair chunk of functionality. 🙂 For now, I'm just asking if there is any functionality of this type available or planned, and if so, what it provides.
0 Kudos

Do applications have to be modified to take advantage of this billing through Roku?

Regards,

Manuel.-
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

"retrotom" wrote:
I was wondering if the subscription model has multiple levels or options. For instance, will be able to say "$X monthly", "$X every 6 months", and "$X annually"? Many subscription models allow for this and give certain discounts for longer renewal rates.

Bad Pun warning:

you mean I can't have $X every day?
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
SuetyStanes
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
"retrotom" wrote:

Bad Pun warning:

you mean I can't have $X every day?

Bravo sir.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"GandK-Geoff" wrote:
Is there any functionality available that would allow us to give users limited time or one time use discount/free codes?

A few examples:

• A marketing promo in which the first 50 users to respond get a code that will let them get our newest app free, instead of normal price.

• Completing all levels in a puzzle game reveals a code good for half off any other game we make.

• "Use this code this Saturday only and get $1 off of all our paid apps."

Having implemented promo systems before, I'm aware the above is a fair chunk of functionality. 🙂 For now, I'm just asking if there is any functionality of this type available or planned, and if so, what it provides.

Ping?
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Right now, those types of promos are not possible. We are working to improve the promotional features, however.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Right now, those types of promos are not possible. We are working to improve the promotional features, however.

Thanks!
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"krazy" wrote:
paypal is a payment processor and they charge like 3% only not comparing both but, the infrastructure should be lesser than what owned by paypal
what i think is 30% is very very huge , there will be nothing left to the distributor especially in video content business at this rate

Ran across this today, and think it's relevant to this older conversation. http://feefighters.com/paypal-calculator

It really illustrates the benefit for the channel store for very cheap channels. Paypal is easy to integrate, but they are actually more expensive than the channel store 30% when the channel is $0.99. As the price goes up, paypal becomes more attractive compared to the channel store, as long as you don't mind tracking sales/subscription data. For some online sites it's already a requirement for their normal business, so of course it makes sense to go that route. At the other end of the spectrum is integrating a merchant processor for your own online billing. This will (apparently) let you achieve the best profits, but that requires quite a bit more up-front effort to do correctly (as I can attest to, and did so earlier in this thread).

Anyways, more food for through on those considering which payment scheme to go with.

P.S. I hope Roku has a really good deal with a merchant processor, otherwise they are getting frighteningly little for the $0.99 channels.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:

Any info on this? I would love to be able to give out promotional codes or something.
-- GandK Labs
0 Kudos