Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuVince
Visitor

Re: You can now bill for your channel through Roku

"evilmax17" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Questions?

Yup!

Can you guys handle different billing information for each individual channel? So if I develop channels for multiple unrelated companies, I would want the option to have the money go directly to them, instead of through me first.

At this time the billing is done under the name of the company. So if you were to develop a channel for a company we'd create a developer account under their name, with their financial and payment information. You could create and test the channel under your own developer account, but you would need to publish the channel for sale under the company's developer account.
0 Kudos
RokuVince
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
To pull together the bits of information here, plus the little bit I know so far:

• The premium developer account is just an account that can have billed channels

• The system supports for one time and recurring charges (but I don't know what recurrence intervals it supports)

• The split is 70/30, like in other apps stores (as per a PM I had with a Roku employee)

Roku customers can now have a payment method (either credit card or PayPal) associated with their Roku account. New accounts must place a payment method on file at account creation. For existing accounts it's optional and they can do so by logging into their Roku account. Once an account has a valid payment method on file, the customer can make purchases from their player. Channels can be a one time purchase channel, or a subscription channel (monthly or annual). Subscriptions automatically renew to the payment method on file until the customer cancels or their payment method is no longer valid. A customer can cancel a subscription from their player. We do not notify developers when a purchase has been made, however they can log into their developer account and see real-time reporting. Payments are made to developers using PayPal on a monthly basis.
0 Kudos
TomCorwine
Channel Surfer

"RokuVince" wrote:
New accounts must place a payment method on file at account creation.

The payment method should be optional for new accounts, too. I always hate it when I'm asked for payment info when I have no intention of making a purchase.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

I have to second this one - new Roku customers should not have to have a credit card on file. Not everyone has a credit card. Some people live a cash-only existance, some seniors might not have credit cards, would be better PR to not require this! Lets say I have a Netflix account that a relative has paid for as a gift, and a Roku, also a gift, but I can't use it because I don't have a credit card. This is definitely not good for Roku's business or reputation, the credit card should only be required to add a pay channel.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"TomCorwine" wrote:

The payment method should be optional for new accounts, too. I always hate it when I'm asked for payment info when I have no intention of making a purchase.

I have to admit this was my first reaction as well. I assume they are trying to be like the other app stores, or like Apple's app store in particular, but I don't remember the iphone requiring an itunes account to use the phone portion, just to buy apps. Since the Roku requires an account to set up now, it's basically requiring a credit card or paypal account to just set up a device that's already paid for. If that's really the case, that's sure to turn off a lot of people and get a lot of bad press.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

You have to have a credit card to install an app from the apple app store, even to install free apps, if you are down to the bottom of your credit card, (like, after you mazes it on an iphone) you can't even update your existing iPhone apps. I think that is "just wrong" but on the iPhone even installing free apps generates a purchase reciept, so I guess they just run the whole thing off the financial back end.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
You have to have a credit card to install an app from the apple app store, even to install free apps, if you are down to the bottom of your credit card, (like, after you mazes it on an iphone) you can't even update your existing iPhone apps. I think that is "just wrong" but on the iPhone even installing free apps generates a purchase reciept, so I guess they just run the whole thing off the financial back end.

Yes, but nothing forces you to use the app store, right? Theoretically, a user could get an iphone and never link it to an itunes account, right? Or do they require linking? It's been so long since I set mine up, and I haven't synced it to anything in years.

Also, it's a bit different with a phone, which requires a service account through a carrier to be used for it's main purpose, and the Roku which is quite useful as it arrives, and can(could?) be used with no accounts that require CC entry (just free channels).

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea of a Roku app store, and am planning to release a few things on it soon. The more users set up and willing to purchase through the store the better. I just don't want to see a backlash from new users about requiring a credit card to set up the box.

P.S. I would be love to be wrong about this, so if there's a way to set the box up without requiring a Roku account with a linked CC, that would be good info to get out into the open for those that want it. Even if it's not easy to find, as long as there's a WAY, that goes a long ways towards easing concerns of people.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:

P.S. I would be love to be wrong about this, so if there's a way to set the box up without requiring a Roku account with a linked CC, that would be good info to get out into the open for those that want it. Even if it's not easy to find, as long as there's a WAY, that goes a long ways towards easing concerns of people.

You aren't required to set up the payment part when you link the box to Roku. I had to relink my beta box a few days ago and just skipped that part. Everything works normally. Later, if I find a channel I want to subscribe to, I'll just go back and enter the CC info.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"kbenson" wrote:
Yes, but nothing forces you to use the app store, right? Theoretically, a user could get an iphone and never link it to an itunes account, right? Or do they require linking? It's been so long since I set mine up, and I haven't synced it to anything in years.

You can't activate the iPhone (or iPod or iPad) without an iTunes account, but you can set up and iTunes account with a gift card instead of a credit card if you prefer.

"kbenson" wrote:

Roku allows you to use a credit card or PayPal, so technically you don't need a credit card. Go to owner.roku.com and you should see the options to configure the payment method there.

I can definitely see the potential for backlash with requiring a payment method, though. It seems to me, if existing users aren't required to set one up, then it should work the same for new users, no? My guess is that they're trying to avoid the inevitable support calls when a user tries to buy a channel without payment info set up.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"kc8pql" wrote:
You aren't required to set up the payment part when you link the box to Roku. I had to relink my beta box a few days ago and just skipped that part. Everything works normally. Later, if I find a channel I want to subscribe to, I'll just go back and enter the CC info.
But you already had a Roku account, right? From what I can tell, it is mandatory for new customers, which is...disappointing...to say the least.
"RokuVince" wrote:
...Roku customers can now have a payment method (either credit card or PayPal) associated with their Roku account. New accounts must place a payment method on file at account creation. For existing accounts it's optional and they can do so by logging into their Roku account....
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos