Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Visitor

You can now bill for your channel through Roku

As of this morning, we have the ability for developers to charge for access to their channels either for a one-time fee or on a subscription basis. Details are available at www.roku.com/developer. Questions?
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: You can now bill for your channel through Roku

I don't have any specific questions about the charging aspect of it, but I am curious as to what benefits there are to the "Premium" developer account. I understand from the FAQ on that page that it's required for charging for channels, but there are no other details that I can find. The FAQ states that more details are provided during the sign-up process, but unless those are in the developer agreement, I didn't see them.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Questions?

Yup!

Can you guys handle different billing information for each individual channel? So if I develop channels for multiple unrelated companies, I would want the option to have the money go directly to them, instead of through me first.
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Patrick, I was looking for information and the only thing available was the developer's agreement. It sort implied that it was documented during the sign up process. I went through the signup and I thought I could cancel out and still get some sort of info on how it works. No such luck, now I'm signed up for something that I have no idea on how it works.

What is the cost per transaction ? What kind of notification do I get on a buy ? What is the cost of a reversal ? What about accounting ?

I was just looking. So far I'm happy with the way I have Chaneru setup with PayPal but was looking for something cheaper.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
I don't have any specific questions about the charging aspect of it, but I am curious as to what benefits there are to the "Premium" developer account. I understand from the FAQ on that page that it's required for charging for channels, but there are no other details that I can find. The FAQ states that more details are provided during the sign-up process, but unless those are in the developer agreement, I didn't see them.

No, it's just the name for a developer account that can charge for channels.
0 Kudos
evilmax17
Visitor

What does the process of purchasing or subscribing to a channel look like for the end user? Where/how do they enter in their billing information?

What happens when a subscription expires? If I have already downloaded a channel (for free), and that channel converts to pay/subscription after the fact, what happens?
My Roku Channels:
Viddler - viddler.com
Tested Fan - tested.com | Jamie & Adam
This is my next - theverge.com
1080p Showcase - RIP
Whiskey Media - RIP
======================
http://www.binarymoustache.com
0 Kudos
cgerrish
Visitor

What is the premium developer account?
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

yes i would like to see how the billing actually works as well.

I think you said it was one time billing, not monthly correct?

and what is the Revshare model look like? will they be able to purchase from their screen? lots of questions.
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

To pull together the bits of information here, plus the little bit I know so far:

• The premium developer account is just an account that can have billed channels

• The system supports for one time and recurring charges (but I don't know what recurrence intervals it supports)

• The split is 70/30, like in other apps stores (as per a PM I had with a Roku employee)
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
RokuVince
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:

The Premium Developer Program allows developers to charge for their channel. Developers can offer a channel/app as a one-time purchase or a monthly or annual subscription. It differs from the Standard Developer Program in that developers are 1) required to agree to a Roku Services Agreement that sets the terms for Roku providing billing services and 2) provide additional financial and contact information for billing and tax purposes.The Roku services agreement can be found under "Developer Resources" on the developer home page.
0 Kudos