Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: XML Syntax for Deeper Category Levels

ShortDescriptionLine1 is what shows up on the screen. If you remove o.titles then it doesn't copy it over to the shortdescriptionline1 property.
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

ya that was missing, i thought when i first looked i had seen it located in the script already, but it turns out it was missing i added it back in there and were all good now, hls is working going to send video back to the media folder and make sure that still works when called on properly in xml, then im all set on the video / live video features really coming together nicely.
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

hey bud i realize now why the logos and such arent in the menus properly, and im curious how i would go about utilizing them again as it was in the appMain.brs in the videoplayer example:

'********************************************************************
'** Video Player Example Application - Main
'** November 2009
'** Copyright (c) 2009 Roku Inc. All Rights Reserved.
'********************************************************************

Sub Main()

'initialize theme attributes like titles, logos and overhang color
initTheme()

'prepare the screen for display and get ready to begin
screen=preShowHomeScreen("", "")
if screen=invalid then
print "unexpected error in preShowHomeScreen"
return
end if

'set to go, time to get started
showHomeScreen(screen)

End Sub

'*************************************************************
'** Set the configurable theme attributes for the application
'**
'** Configure the custom overhang and Logo attributes
'** Theme attributes affect the branding of the application
'** and are artwork, colors and offsets specific to the app
'*************************************************************

Sub initTheme()

app = CreateObject("roAppManager")
theme = CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")

theme.OverhangOffsetSD_X = "72"
theme.OverhangOffsetSD_Y = "31"
theme.OverhangSliceSD = "pkg:/images/Overhang_Background_SD.png"
theme.OverhangLogoSD = "pkg:/images/Overhang_Logo_SD.png"

theme.OverhangOffsetHD_X = "125"
theme.OverhangOffsetHD_Y = "35"
theme.OverhangSliceHD = "pkg:/images/Overhang_Background_HD.png"
theme.OverhangLogoHD = "pkg:/images/Overhang_Logo_HD.png"

app.SetTheme(theme)

End Sub

and the example you gave me and the way i have it working now i dont even have a appMain.brs at all, so that explains why theres no logos, i played around a bit with using this code in the appHomeScreen.brs but in no variation i tried, can i compile correctly without error, you mind shedding some light on how to reintroduce the logos back into the menus, thanks in advance bud.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Do you have a file here?
pkg:/images/Overhang_Background_SD.png
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

are you refering to the manifest ?

i have all of the correct images in the images folder yes but theres no theme noting anywhere in the code from the looks of it, and it was in appMain.brs in the example where it would call on these images now, so its not apparently calling for the theme commands now. keep in mind the example you gave me to use has no appMain.brs which im assuming is why it doesnt work.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Yeah, you'll need to merge your theme routine into the script code since it's not there, as well as any other features you use that aren't there. And you'll need to modify it to fit your specific requirements with xml parsing and your server name and other adjustments. If there was 'smart code' available that did it all for you with point and click you wouldn't need to make any changes. 🙂 I think there are websites that can entirely automate the channel creation process but they have strings attached and aren't free.
0 Kudos
claudioc
Visitor

ah cool i figured it out, had to place the initTheme() inside Sub Main() then at the bottom of appHomescreen.brs i was able to just add the theme details and compile and now it works. ya im not asking for spoon feeding bud, but to say the documenation is 100% clear (not that you said this to me personally) is just not the case, im slowly begining to understand it better. and i definately appreciate your assistance man you have made the learning process much easier having good examples of certain situations makes understanding how they work easier.

and im sure in the future those who might read through this will fully understand why the issues i ran into were complex and appreciate the details being listed here to enhance the learning process.
0 Kudos

Is there anyway to get the xml samples that are listed in this post. I downloaded the zip file a while ago but never got the xml files and now that I am looking into the design of submenus I wanted to check out this example. Unfortunately none of the files are available.

Thanks
0 Kudos
tintumonkb
Visitor

can you reupload the files you modified, i also need 3 level category. please help out

http://vpforums.org/destruk/DynamicSubmenus.zip

http://vpforums.org/destruk/xml/categories.xml
http://vpforums.org/destruk/xml/morevideos.xml
http://vpforums.org/destruk/xml/submenu.xml

im also making a small roku app with video player sdk.
please reupload or give me a solution is possible

thanks
0 Kudos
JavierNRT
Visitor

Hi, can you reupload the files you modified. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos