Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brocker
Visitor

XML Formatting

Hey All,

Is there somewhere that I can read about the proper formatting and explanation of the XML files that Roku uses? I have a couple from the demo projects, but I'd like to know specifically what each node is requiring.

I can use best judgement on most, but certain nodes like "contentId", "resultLength", "endIndex", etc don't make much sense to me. I was thinking there might be somewhere that I can find a detail of each node?

Thanks!
Bud
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: XML Formatting

"brocker" wrote:
Is there somewhere that I can read about the proper formatting and explanation of the XML files that Roku uses? I have a couple from the demo projects, but I'd like to know specifically what each node is requiring.

I can use best judgement on most, but certain nodes like "contentId", "resultLength", "endIndex", etc don't make much sense to me. I was thinking there might be somewhere that I can find a detail of each node?

The videoplayer example in the SDK uses a custom XML schema that is not formally documented anywhere. The best way to figure out how it works is to explore the code in categoryFeed.brs and showFeed.brs.

More importantly, you are not required to use that schema in your own channels. BrightScript can parse data from any XML schema you like. What's important is how that data is mapped to your content-meta-data structures. The content-meta-data structure is documented in section 3.3 of the Component Reference.
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Thanks Chris,

I guess what I'm looking for is the basics of what's needed in order for the UI elements to display. I have modified the XML in the example projects, and it seems to work, but if you are telling me that there might be fields that are not needed, that's something new.

The Component Reference is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the pointer

Bud
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I think you need the first line - where it says it the xml version. Everything else should be up to you for field names and interpretation provided you're using standard or most UTF-8 compliant characters.
0 Kudos