Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiddy
Visitor

Will a live feed go to sleep on its own?

I'm about to launch a handful of live channels and I don't want to pay for bandwidth when someone has turned off their TV and gone to bed without pressing the Home button.

WIll the device go to sleep on its own when a live stream is still streaming, and if so what setting and operations dictate the paramters for that, or do I need to manage my own timer to do this? Is there a best practice for this behavior?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Will a live feed go to sleep on its own?

No - not until the stream ends.
0 Kudos
tiddy
Visitor

Thanks for the speedy response!

So in addressing this, presumably its up to me to manage a timer and reset it when the user clicks a button and eventually expore that timer and tell the user to press a button to continue...

Anyone else dealt with this and have a more elegant solution?
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

you could put a timer in your video module to exit the video player after a certain amount of time has passed, up to you.

for example:
timer=createobject("rotimespan")

while true
if timer.totalseconds() > 14400 then return -1 'exit video after four hours of play
msg = wait(100, video.GetMessagePort())
if type(msg) = "roVideoScreenEvent"
if msg.isstreamstarted() then
timer.mark()

else if msg.isScreenClosed() then 'ScreenClosed event
print "Closing video screen"
exit while

I just tested this using a 60 second time frame, seems to work just fine.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
tiddy
Visitor

Thanks for the hand, folks! You two just saved me a potentially shocking EC2 bill.
0 Kudos
bandal
Visitor

Will work, but won't it stop the video stream for those who are watching TV normally after 4 hours? Or can the code be modified to place a message that "In 10 minutes the screen will automatically close to conserve bandwidth". Please, Press OK to Continue" If no response it will close.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

"bandal" wrote:
Will work, but won't it stop the video stream for those who are watching TV normally after 4 hours? Or can the code be modified to place a message that "In 10 minutes the screen will automatically close to conserve bandwidth". Please, Press OK to Continue" If no response it will close.

Yeah, but that would be admitting to the world that u iz po and broke, now why would you want to do that?

Never let em see ya sweat! 8-)

Just close it after 4 hours, and then if they fall asleep, cool, if it is in the middle of a VOD program, then they might be a little annoyed. If it is the middle of a live program, then they might be ***really*** annoyed if they can't get back to what they missed... might want to write something more complex like:

if the program has been running for 4 hours
AND
if it is not in the middle of a show then end
else wait till time=showEndTime then quit

Something like that, but you'll have to keep track of show start/end times on your server.

- Joel
0 Kudos
tiddy
Visitor

I broadcast live programming, currently with no DVR support. I've settled on a schema by which I shut down the video if:
> 2 hours pass
no buttons have been pressed
it is on the hour, so likely a commercial break or between programs

We'll see how the customers like it. The other option is to stream unchecked and raise everyones subscription cost - no bueno.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

It's a good solution, thanks for bringing the topic up.

-Joel
0 Kudos