Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

Why there is still no support for Cyrillic font??

Topic says it all. How come? Been years since requested.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=36652&p=467401#p467401
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Why there is still no support for Cyrillic font??

Why is there still no Russian channel store?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
Why is there still no Russian channel store?

<ahem> I see where you are coming from but that is somewhat misinformed - equating Cyrillic alphabet to Russian language. It's thereabout like doing the same between Latin alphabet and English language (e.g. calling ASCII "the English alphabet").

Let me shed some light: about 250M people in Europe and Asia use Cyrillic as official alphabet and only 1/2 of that is Russia. The rest are mostly Slavic countries: Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Ukraine - but there are some decidedly non-Slavic countries too, like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan (see list and map here).

@ukrkoz, you will likely get a formulaic answer by RokuCo that if you need some esoteric :mrgreen: script, you can add your own TTF fonts. I think it is worth consideration by the Co. though: an expansion of international support - since Apple, Google and Amazon in their competing products have no hesitation about addressing the international market at large.

PS. Huh, TIL: even in Alaska they used Cyrillic once upon Tsarist times (not a shocker really, considering a certain later inter-state real-estate transaction)
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Sheldon?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos