Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashishMaz
Visitor

Why HLS Live feed on Roku is significantly delayed compared to iOS?

The Roku live stream is approximately 30 minutes behind iOS. I tested my Tv app comparing iOS, Android, and web. I used both HLS URLs (w/ and w/o tags). Removing the tag had a minimal effect, perhaps a few seconds difference, but the discrepancy between platforms is much greater. After loading the same streams in both environments, we are seeing a delay of *many minutes* on different devices.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
casolorz
Roku Guru

Re: Why HLS Live feed on Roku is significantly delayed compared to iOS?

"ashishMaz" wrote:
The Roku live stream is approximately 30 minutes behind iOS. I tested my Tv app comparing iOS, Android, and web. I used both HLS URLs (w/ and w/o tags). Removing the tag had a minimal effect, perhaps a few seconds difference, but the discrepancy between platforms is much greater. After loading the same streams in both environments, we are seeing a delay of *many minutes* on different devices.

This can happen if the live stream isn't sending you just the live segments but also previous ones. On some players you can tell them to play it live, no idea if Roku has such an option. I'm curious to find out as well. 
0 Kudos
savasdenli

Re: Why HLS Live feed on Roku is significantly delayed compared to iOS?

Live urls can have dvr for user can go to previous. So when i play a live stream. After buffering i seek it to duration. But this is not actually live. Again i have about 2-3 seconds delay. Is there any way to playing actually live in Roku Player?
0 Kudos