Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Who has ifStreamSend?

I am trying to come up with some way of getting debug information out of running screensaver. Print does not input to console but i remembered that there is optional way to redirect its input. To wit:
"4.2 BrightScript statements that work with BrightScript Component Interfaces
" wrote:
The print #object, "hello" format will print "into" any object that has an "ifStreamSend" interface. These include the TextField and SerialPort objects.

So in theory i should be able to redirect debug prints to a file or a socket, as long as i find something ifStreamSend-able.
Which objects implement that interface on Roku?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Who has ifStreamSend?

You do know that if you telnet to port 8087 you can see the side-loaded screensaver's print output, right?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
You do know that if you telnet to port 8087 you can see the side-loaded screensaver's print output, right?
No?
Great if it's the case - but how would i know such a thing?!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

In 2010 RokuKevin posted it here --
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30906

Would be great if anything like this was documented somewhere though instead of requiring TheEndless and RenoJim to track all of it. It's appreciated, but I'm sure even their memories have some limitation.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"destruk" wrote:
In 2010 RokuKevin posted it here -- viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30906

Would be great if anything like this was documented somewhere though instead of requiring TheEndless and RenoJim to track all of it. It's appreciated, but I'm sure even their memories have some limitation.

Yeah, now that i know the exact word to search the forum for - "8087", it is easy 😄
But last night - not so much. In desperation then i "invented" my own way of signaling from the screensaver part by having it write to tmp file and the main thread reading and outputting that to console. Had to re-invent the wheel on how to print a dictionary to string for that too.

Regarding screensaver documentation... i don't get it. RokuCo knows documentation is missing, has the knowledge to fill it up but doesn't do it for years - but rather answer piece-meal questions. I have this vision of a decider to whom this gets brought for judgement: "Should we document the screensavers, oh great one?" - "Meh". The alternative i can think of is more dystopian - that we are in a kind of The Prize of Peril/The Running Man/Hunger Games situation, observed as to who can survive.

Regarding memory limitations, i am not sure TheEndless has any :). The man is a living compendium of hands-on knowledge on all things Roku.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"destruk" wrote:
In 2010 RokuKevin posted it here -- viewtopic.php?f=34&t=30906

Yeah, now that i know the exact word to search the forum for - "8087", it is easy 😄
But last night - not so much. In desperation then i "invented" my own way of signaling from the screensaver part by having it write to tmp file and the main thread reading and outputting that to console. Had to re-invent the wheel on how to print a dictionary to string for that too.

Regarding screensaver documentation... i don't get it. RokuCo knows documentation is missing, has the knowledge to fill it up but doesn't do it for years - but rather answer piece-meal questions. I have this vision of a decider to whom this gets brought for judgement: "Should we document the screensavers, oh great one?" - "Meh". The alternative i can think of is more dystopian - that we are in a kind of The Prize of Peril/The Running Man/Hunger Games situation, observed as to who can survive.

Regarding memory limitations, i am not sure TheEndless has any :). The man is a living compendium of hands-on knowledge on all things Roku.
Heh, I remember reading Prize of Peril when I was 11 or 12 (ie about 30 years after it was published). With apologies to the individual Roku employees(most of whom have been awesome to interact with) I see it more as a Hanlon's Razor type of situation. It's not deliberate, they just have other priorities. Personally, I'm still wishing they'll open up a 'public' issue tracker ('for registered developers only' would be a good compromise between totally internal and totally public). It'd make it much easier to track these kinds of issues.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos