Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: White line static on Roku XD (2050x)

Without some example content that produces this behavior, I can't verify the existence of the problem and file a bug report. If you have some valid content that we can test please let me know.

The content needs to:

1. actually be playable on the 3.x platform.
2. cause the graphical issue you are reporting
3. have not caused the issue prior to the last firmware update.

- Joel
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

Posting a link to a file that exhibits the symptoms would help tremendously. Otherwise all Roku and other users can do is speculate about possibilities. With a sample, we can independently confirm(or dispute) the issue as well as examine the properties of the file for parameters that might possibly be triggering the issue. From there it might be possible for Roku to see what (if anything) changed in their code base, and from there they may be able to revert the change or at least explain why a reversion wouldn't be possible(e.g. if it fixes other issues that take precedence over this one).

/edit: Missed Joel's post as I was editing. Leaving mine up anyway 🙂
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

"codewarrior" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:
While we did update the first generation HD-XR and XD-S to support 1080p video output, playing back video with a 1920x1080 frame size wasn't something we promoted or marketed.

A better approach here would be to say "Hey! that might be a bug. We'll take a look into this matter, thank you for your feedback". Instead, you're trying to tell me something that just isn't true.

In case you haven't been reading the responses, I have quoted them here for you below - which from where I sit, it looks like that is what they have been saying, that it is possibly a BUG...
Quoted in the order posted

"The first generation of Roku hardware (everything prior to the Roku2) doesn't have the same abilities as later hardware and can have issues with 1080p video. The horizontal lines you see are likely an artifact of trying to play something that they were not intended to play." --meaning let's look at a sample file to figure out what is going on

"Whether it is a valid issue or not, this is the developer forum, not the general forum. If you are having issues with a channel you are personally developing, then please feel free to discuss that here, otherwise, if you are having issues with watching TV on Roku please move this conversation to the General Forum.
If you are a developer encountering this issue, please send me via PM the URLs of some videos that demonstrate the problem on the 3.1 platform and I'll endeavor to have someone test them. It would of course be useful to know the brand of television on which you have encountered this as well and by what means it was connected.
- Joel" -- Joel here is asking for a sample file

"I didn't say it was an issue with your channel, but if you have a channel that you are or have developed that is exhibiting this issue (regardless of the whether the cause is encoding or a firmware bug), send me the URL of a video that exhibits this problem when playing in your channel and we can test it. If the problem is with general video playback on the 2050x and is not specific to a channel you are developing, please use the general forum.
- Joel" -- Joel again asks for a sample file

"While we did update the first generation HD-XR and XD-S to support 1080p video output, playing back video with a 1920x1080 frame size wasn't something we promoted or marketed. Some 1080p-encoded video may indeed play just fine depending on encoding recipe. When you re-encode the file to 720p, you're lowering the required cpu and memory for the decoding considerably (~1/2 the resolution per frame), and 720p encoded according to our encoding guide should absolutely play on all Roku HD-enabled devices." -- without a sample file this would be a possible troubleshooting step to see if the issue exists at a lower bitrate/resolution/resource footprint

----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not judging whether anything said is true or not. What I noticed was with 1080p video playing in the custom video player using roImageCanvas (1280x720 canvas) on a roku 1, at a 4mbit encode rate, at 23.975fps with meta data set for HD/fullframe/24fps, I would see static lines through the video when using HDMI. When using component video cables the problem wasn't noticeable, and when reencoding it to 1280x720 the problem went away - but it's been like that for my setup even prior to latest firmwares (over the last year). Roku 2 doesn't have the issue. I'm not saying it isn't a problem, just without the ability to roll back firmwares here it will be difficult to track down without a source url video file to test on current firmware with any supporting information to go on like - a channel name, a video url, or more information about what you're doing when you experience it on your end.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

I'm locking this topic.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.