Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Resolution(HD or FHD) to Consider Developing SceneGraph Channel

Hi Everyone,

To create a scenegraph channel, I need to set up width and height, translation position in all over the XML for rendering nodes. 

So, Which resolution I need to consider developing it. Like FHD means I need to set up all the images and translation position for 1920 x 1080 pixels. Like in HD I need to make in 1280 x 720 pixels.

And If I write everything in FHD, is it fallback and UI fit well to HD and SD..? Or Can I go with HD resolution?

Thank you in advance. 

Regards,
Dineshkumar
I am using Roku 4 - 4400X Model.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
rftvaa
Visitor

Re: Which Resolution(HD or FHD) to Consider Developing SceneGraph Channel

Hi, I will try resume what has been my understanding on this topic so far.

You'll get the same exactly visual result with either choice as long as you follow these two rules:

Regarding Autoscaling, what it means is that you should position/size your elements taking into account what position or size it will correspond to when converted to the other resolution. This is an issue since Roku has trouble rendering elements whose properties are not integer values. For instance, a 100x100 Poster with a translation of [100.5, 100.5] will display visual artifacts in most cases.
The solution here is to make sure that your values respect the autoscale factor everytime. e.g.:
Designing for HD (x1.5 factor to FHD -> multiples of 2)

• width of 99 will be autoscalled to 148.5 

• width of 100 will be autoscalled to 150 

• width of 101 will be autoscalled to 151.5 

• width of 102 will be autoscalled to 153 

• width of 103 will be autoscalled to 154.5 
Designing for FHD (x2/3 factor to HD -> multiples of 3)

• width of 99 will be autoscalled to 66 ✓

• width of 100 will be autoscalled to 66.7 

• width of 101 will be autoscalled to 67.3 

• width of 102 will be autoscalled to 68 

• width of 103 will be autoscalled to 68.7 

Regarding assets, since you are we are setting the size properties, the autoscalling will take care of the rest. FHD assets will look fine on FHD and HD, but HD assets will only look fine on HD. Remember to set width and height on your Poster nodes, even if they match the asset size, since it will disregard the original resolution and refer only to the bitmapWidth and bitmapHeight of the asset.
It is also possible that you might see some artifacts with FHD assets on an HD resolution due to the natural scalling on real time. If you wish to achieve the best result, then you will need assets for both resolutions. Luckily, there is a flexible solution for this using uri_resolution_autosub[/url:7tfw83mt].

You can also support both resolutions by using ui_resolutions=...

0 Kudos

Hi rfvaa,

Thank you for the guidance. I don't think to write a code to support resolutions on both HD and FHD at this time. So, I am going to start channel work to support FHD resolutions. 

Regards,
Dineshkumar
I am using Roku 4 - 4400X Model.
0 Kudos
Jalpa
Visitor

What need to consider while developing for 4K TV? 
0 Kudos