Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

When Roku's update disables dev mode --

Can I please beg you to put up a notice or something on the Roku so we don't need to guess when the IP doesn't work? Just something like "Roku firmware updated" would be great - somewhere. You could even 'hide it' in the roku/settings/about screen stating "firmware last updated at this time and date" - I don't care where it goes as long as it can be checked, noted, and seen.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: When Roku's update disables dev mode --

"destruk" wrote:
You could even 'hide it' in the roku/settings/about screen stating "firmware last updated at this time and date".

That should be available to you.
In firmware 5.x, in Settings > Software update it should show last checked and last updated date/times.
In firmware 6.x, it is in Settings > System > System update.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

So if it was last updated January 14th, why do I need to disable the installer, reboot the roku, and re-enable the installer, and reboot the roku again to reconnect to the dev page website? otherwise it just times out sometimes? It's done that twice since January 14th.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"destruk" wrote:
So if it was last updated January 14th, why do I need to disable the installer, reboot the roku, and re-enable the installer, and reboot the roku again to reconnect to the dev page website? otherwise it just times out sometimes? It's done that twice since January 14th.

FWIW, I haven't seen this behavior on any of my dev boxes. Sounds like it might be something odd on your end. Are you seeing it on multiple devices?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I only develop on one roku 3 XS, so it's the one I have noticed this happening to. The boxes I don't develop on I don't connect to through the webpage, so ...
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Same issues... btw - with the current home screen if you just have one channel installed it shows empty placeholders for the line - can we get rid of those placeholders?
I'll try using ethernet instead of wireless - that might be better for troubleshooting even though it says "Excellent" and is 10 feet from the wireless router, it times out getting to the dev webpage.
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

Is it simply that your IP address is changing? On my local network router I make sure my dev Roku device is always given the same IP via DHCP so I don't have to go tracking down the address if it were to change.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

"gabek" wrote:
Is it simply that your IP address is changing? On my local network router I make sure my dev Roku device is always given the same IP via DHCP so I don't have to go tracking down the address if it were to change.

if you put the device name in your browser instead, the IP doesn't matter and it will still connect if the ip changes.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

The router has DHCP address reservation and I checked to be sure in the settings for roku, so no, the ip doesn't change.
Now that it's on ethernet the MacID is different, so I changed that to reserve a different IP. If it still gives me trouble I'll post back.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

ok, so it appears the issue is when my router is set to use Wireless-N, Roku's connection becomes unstable after about 24 hours. I have it on ethernet now and it hasn't had any problem.
I can't set my router to anything else as that would totally slow down every wireless device on the network if I did. So this issue can be closed and maybe Roku 4 will have updated wireless connectivity/compatibility.
0 Kudos