Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newchannel
Roku Guru

What's the right way to do this.....

I am helping someone with a channel and looking for advice on the proper setup.

If the channel is on my box and under my developer account and the person I am helping a year from now decides to maintain their own channel, what is the best way to start this in the beginning:

Build on my developer account and later can they signup to be a developer and use the same basic code and repackage with a new genkey under their account? But the name of their channel would change under this scenario I believe.

Or, what is the best way to do this? For now they, don't want to maintain the channel, meaning the build or adding videos each week but I know later they will most likely want to add their own videos down the road.

Looking for advice on the best way to begin so it is easier later on.

I would think it would be best if they signed up to be a developer but how would that affect me doing the build on my Roku device and not theirs? Does that part matter as much? The genkey under their account is the main factor, correct?

Any words of wisdom....

Thank you.
http://www.victoryNOWfilmsandtv.com
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: What's the right way to do this.....

You can give the new developer your genkey password and then they can rekey their box to use the same key.

--Mark
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Hi Mark,

How does that affect my own channel on my box for the option you suggest? Any conflicts? I guess the only thing is they would always have my same key though.

I suppose the only other option would be for them to get a developer account and me help with their build on their roku to keep things separate.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Rekeying another box has no effect on your box or on the channel itself. It just allows the other box to sign the channel package with the same key. Any number of boxes can use the same key; this is useful, for example, when multiple developers are working on a channel.

--Mark
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We can now easily move channels between developer accounts, so when your client wishes to move the channel, if you agree to it then we can just move it to their account. If the channel stores and local information, you will need to give them the devid and password you used to package their channel so that they can rekey their device, if they wish to update and maintain the channel (otherwise, what will happen is that users will all be forced to relink or re-login to their channels or re-set any locally stored preferences.

- Joel
0 Kudos
newchannel
Roku Guru

Ok, thank you. If they decide to use my help, then I see now I can help them with my own Roku box and then I'll give Roku permission to move the channel. That would work because it's just a basic channel of course, Nothing fancy.
0 Kudos