Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fran_3
Visitor

What's required for Roku user to see a live video stream

I'm a newbie to Roku and maybe some kind soul will help me get a quick start...

1 - What is required for someone with a Roku box to see a live event streamed over the net?
2 - Must the "streamer" do something to make it available to everyone with a Roku box?
3 - Does Roku claim any rights to content?
4 - Does Roku put up ads during the stream? If so how? Lower third, at he begining, or what?
5 - If Roku requires permission to stream over their device is it hard to get?
6 - Must you be a code developer and create a special software application?
7 - Once on Roku will your stream be available to other digital media box's?
8 - In terms of market share... how is Roku doing? Any estimate as to how many homes the Roku box is in?

Sorry for all the questions... and I'm sure if I read long enough I can dig out all the answers but I'm hopeful tha someone will take a couple of minutes and give me a quick start.

Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: What's required for Roku user to see a live video stream

"Fran_3" wrote:
I'm a newbie to Roku and maybe some kind soul will help me get a quick start...

1 - What is required for someone with a Roku box to see a live event streamed over the net?
2 - Must the "streamer" do something to make it available to everyone with a Roku box?
3 - Does Roku claim any rights to content?
4 - Does Roku put up ads during the stream? If so how? Lower third, at he begining, or what?
5 - If Roku requires permission to stream over their device is it hard to get?
6 - Must you be a code developer and create a special software application?
7 - Once on Roku will your stream be available to other digital media box's?
8 - In terms of market share... how is Roku doing? Any estimate as to how many homes the Roku box is in?

Sorry for all the questions... and I'm sure if I read long enough I can dig out all the answers but I'm hopeful tha someone will take a couple of minutes and give me a quick start.

Thanks for any help!

1 - Roku uses the Apple-developer HTTP Live Streaming protocol for delivering live content. See here: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/libra ... ction.html and here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pantos ... reaming-03 for more information

2 - You don't have to do anything special except have server capacity for all the units that will connect in order to provide a good experience.

3 - No, your content is your content. Take a look at the developer agreement when signing up for the Developer Program for the terms governing building and deploying a Roku channel. www.roku.com/developer to sign up

4 - No, Roku does not advertise within your channel or content.

5 - Any permission that needs to be obtained will need to be obtained by you. Roku is just a player. You provide the content and we provide the platform on which people can view your content.

6 - Generally, yes, you'll need to create a Roku channel and that does involve at least some programming. If you don't have the resources in house to do so, I'm glad to provide a list of contractors that are capable of building your channel.

7 - The Roku channel will not be usable on other products/devices, but if you implement an HLS stream, you should be able to repurpose that stream to other devices that support HLS such as the iPad and iPhone. Do keep in mind that because Roku is connected to a tv, we usually require higher resolutions and bit rates due to the larger screens.

8 - more than 500k boxes tracking towards a million around the end of the year.
0 Kudos