Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbmarley
Visitor

Zipped Files will not work

Hello All:

Is anyone else experiencing issues when trying to upload custom zip files. I am developing on a mac and it seems impossible to "zip" an application and get it to play on my local roku player.

For example, I will just go into the example/source - directory and zip any file to upload and it will not work. The only zip files that work are the ones that are already zipped with the SDK.

I've tried to customize some of the files for testing and zipped up the app, but it does not recognize/run the application on the local player.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Jason
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Zipped Files will not work

You don't want to "go into" the source directory. You have to have a directory within your zip named source where your code file(s) reside. You also have to have your manifest and Makefile in the 'root' directory of your zip.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Re: Zipped Files will not work

As renojim stated, you need a source directory/folder in your zip to hold any brightScript files, so make sure to start the zip at that level.

I believe the minimum required in the zip to actually have a working package is:
/manifest
/source/script.brs

where script.brs is whatever you want to name it (keeping the extension), and needs to define one of the acceptable "main" functions used as the initial execution point of the program when run. You may have to define the icon images in the manifest for it to be valid (?), but the images don't have to exist if you are just starting...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos