Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Server

It appears there is a lightweight web server built into the Roku, because the developer page runs off of this.

It would be useful, to at least some programs, to be able to serve pages out via this web server. I'm mainly thinking in terms of simple form pages to get information from the user via computer or mobile device. These simple forms could then save the results to a local file or the registry to be accessed by BrightScript. I realize all of this can be done by setting up an external server, but it would simplify things quite a bit to be able to do it all locally.

Trying to keep the idea fairly open right now. Maybe the page is only accessible while the channel is open? Perhaps some BrightScript code is required to make it available? Maybe it is accessible via http://address/vanity?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Web Server

You could probably accomplish something similar with the new socket features in 3.0.
0 Kudos

In section 3.5 of the ExternalControlGuide.pdf the following is listed:

The SDK includes a sample External Control Protocol application that requires only glibc to compile. The program is self contained in the /examples/source/rokuExternalControl.c file of the SDK. You can compile and run it with the following commands:
% cd <SDK Directory>
% gcc /examples/source/rokuExternalControl.c –o rokuExternalControl
% ./rokuExternalControl
On Windows, it can be compiled with the following line:
% cl /D "WIN32" rokuExternalControl.c

I don't see this file in the /examples/source directory. Could I get a copy of it?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It's in the examples directory, not examples/source.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
It's in the examples directory, not examples/source.

Thanks! There just as you said.

Ryan
0 Kudos