Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Web Server Example SDK

I have been successful in get a server running that will live stream a channel, of course with the help of many people giving advice. During my experience I saw the example in the SDK called web server. I have been trying to get some info on what this is exactly intended for. I did come across one post that sounded like the web server could be loaded on to the roku and that roku would act as a server in place of using a pc. Is this correct or am I totally wrong. Is there any documentation on the web server example?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Web Server Example SDK

I'm new to Roku development and I'm also wondering what this example can do. How do you connect to the server?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"AlexHolsgrove" wrote:
I'm new to Roku development and I'm also wondering what this example can do. How do you connect to the server?

To get started, edit the file config.xml and change "ext1:/" to "pkg:/", e.g.:

<Roku>
<MimeTypes>
<brs>text/plain</brs>
</MimeTypes>
<globals>
<wwwroot>pkg:/</wwwroot>
</globals>
</Roku>

Side-load the channel and send requests to port 8888 at your Roku's IP address, e.g. in your web browser's location field, type:

http://192.168.0.7:8888/

In this example, it will show you a directory listing of your package directory, e.g.:

/

Makefile 97
config.xml 140
images/
manifest 338
sounds/
source/

generated by Roku RSP WebServer on Thu, 31 JUL 2014 18:20:35 GMT

You can serve up static files from your package by placing them in directories like you would on any other web server.

It's just an example of how to implement a web server using a Roku. If you want to do more, the rest is up to you.
0 Kudos

Thanks for this Belltown - I did manage to find the correct URL/Port but I'll have to pay around and see what I can make it do.

Thank you for sharing the code.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"AlexHolsgrove" wrote:
Thanks for this Belltown - I did manage to find the correct URL/Port but I'll have to pay around and see what I can make it do.

Thank you for sharing the code.

If you want to see some actual code based on the Web Server SDK, look at the Plex client public code on Github: https://github.com/plexinc/roku-client-public/tree/master/Plex/source/webserver.
0 Kudos