Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

Volume control for Roku

It might be an off thread topic, but I do not see a better place to put a request at:

Please, please, please, make volume control for Roku!! Otherwise, 2 remotes become a must. Shows come at different volume, usually, deafening loud. Roku's remote is apparently RF, so it can not be learned by a universal remote with learning feature. It's a hassle to always drag 2 remotes on you.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Volume control for Roku

"ukrkoz" wrote:
It might be an off thread topic, but I do not see a better place to put a request at:

Please, please, please, make volume control for Roku!! Otherwise, 2 remotes become a must. Shows come at different volume, usually, deafening loud. Roku's remote is apparently RF, so it can not be learned by a universal remote with learning feature. It's a hassle to always drag 2 remotes on you.

Thank you.
The motion remote is RF, and only Roku2 units can use RF, but all Rokus also respond to IR. The Harmony line of remotes from Logitech has all the IR codes for Roku available in its online database, for instance. If you don't have access to an original remote, or to a Harmony remote, learning the codes on another universal might be difficult (I'd suggest getting a cheap harmony, like the 300, you could even return it after programming your existing universal, if you don't like it).

Nevertheless, I second the request for a volume control built in to Roku. Optionally, normalization would also be nice.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

I do have a fancy learning remote. It does not respond to any signals made by Roku remote. I can program anything else into it, but nothing from Roku. Hence, I always have to have both remotes on me, sometimes 3, as I also have Dune HD Lite IPTV box. That one, fortunately, is a full blown player, with replay, volume, EPG options.
As a result, I have to operate TV volume off separate remote. Maybe they will come up with an app that will make this possible on Roku.

I'd not have asked for anything else on that remote, but volume. It's fine as is. It is, mof, surprising, how much they managed to put into that little box.
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"ukrkoz" wrote:
I do have a fancy learning remote. It does not respond to any signals made by Roku remote. I can program anything else into it, but nothing from Roku.

As noted above, you need an IR remote, available here for $14.95. https://shop.roku.com/accessories-all
With that you can program your learning remote.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

no, logitech remote with pre-progd codes for Roku was mentioned.

Does not say anywhere here that it's IR remote:

Instant Replay Remote

List Price: $14.99
Sometimes an extra remote is just great to have around. This one features Instant Replay so you can instantly skip back to catch that line you missed. Works with all Roku models.

if IR stands for instant replay, not infra red, then what use is it to me?
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"ukrkoz" wrote:
no, logitech remote with pre-progd codes for Roku was mentioned.

Does not say anywhere here that it's IR remote:

Instant Replay Remote

List Price: $14.99
Sometimes an extra remote is just great to have around. This one features Instant Replay so you can instantly skip back to catch that line you missed. Works with all Roku models.

if IR stands for instant replay, not infra red, then what use is it to me?
The only roku remote that is not infrared (IR) is the 'Game Remote'. The game remote is bluetooth based (RF), it comes with the XS model and is sold at the roku store, bundled with a micro-sd card, for $29.99. I only mentioned the Harmony line because you should be able to easily find them locally, they definitely have the codes for Roku (not all universals will), and after you programmed your existing universal, you could return the harmony locally if you didn't like the harmony. The Instant Replay Remote is cheaper, and will be able to be learned by your universal. Downsides are: you will have to pay shipping, will have to wait for it to arrive, and if you don't like it (or don't need it after programming the universal) returning will be more of a hassle.
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
0 Kudos
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

I should be able to find Harmony at local Fry's.

here's the thing. I have 2 Rokus, high end and low end editions. High end one is in living room, with the fancy remote for Angry birds. the low end one is in my bedroom.

so far, and I have no reason to doubt response provided - remotes are not interchangeable, and low end remote does not work on high end Roku. I tried. Also, I have not seen any IR ports on that low end remote, looks exactly like high end one, with different buttons layout. I doubt it is IR remote, but I'll double check tonight. I do not see any point in buying a 3rd remote. I'd rather buy Harmony and run all my electronics off it, as it looks like Roku's to stay with me for a while.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"ukrkoz" wrote:
I should be able to find Harmony at local Fry's.

here's the thing. I have 2 Rokus, high end and low end editions. High end one is in living room, with the fancy remote for Angry birds. the low end one is in my bedroom.

so far, and I have no reason to doubt response provided - remotes are not interchangeable, and low end remote does not work on high end Roku. I tried. Also, I have not seen any IR ports on that low end remote, looks exactly like high end one, with different buttons layout. I doubt it is IR remote, but I'll double check tonight. I do not see any point in buying a 3rd remote. I'd rather buy Harmony and run all my electronics off it, as it looks like Roku's to stay with me for a while.
This is the game remote:
http://blog.roku.com/wp-content/uploads ... remote.jpg

That's the only one Roku has produced that does not have infrared. If your high-end roku isn't responding to the low-end remote, then there are several possibilities:
1) Bad batteries
2) Interference (the back-light on some tvs can cause this, see this thread for an example: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43866&p=297602&hilit=backlight#p297602 )
3) bad IR port on the high-end roku (this one is unlikely, but certainly not impossible)

I have 3 rokus now, all different models from different years. I also have two game remotes and several other IR remotes (original and universal). All of the rokus respond to all of the IR remotes, including the Roku2 that has both game remotes paired to it, so I know, in theory :), it *should* work for you too. Good luck!

p.s. If it wasn't obvious from my signature and replies, I'm kinda a 'remote nut' :).
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Try the low end remote very close to the box. The IR port is just to the left and slightly below the light on the front of the box. If it works, you have IR interference, usually caused by the TV backlight. The fix is to adjust the brightness down.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
ukrkoz
Channel Surfer

Thank you, folks. Have it working. Low end remote does have IR port, it simply takes close look to notice, as it's blanded into entire front of the remote.
Also, it works with high end Roku, but I had to get 2 feet away from it. Thereafter, I could back away from it and it kept working. I think, it simply had to "learn" IR remote, as there was a moment of hesitance in responce, then it was all good.
Also, finished setting up my learning remote - and it also works. The only button I can not set up is Home, but it's ok.
Once again - thank you. It's still a 4 step dance, as I have to switch between remote modes to get to volume, but it's better than carrying 2 remotes.
0 Kudos