Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thetick
Roku Guru

Video quailty details

From the Roku SDK I tried:

Debug Info on screen: Home 5x, Rew 3x, FF 2x

Which shows:
Playing 2 mps stream on 3.6 mbs

I have my roku set to 1080p but how do I tell if the video source playing is 1080p or 720p AND 480i or 480p? Is there another debug feature I did find with this info?
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
jeffrok
Roku Guru

Re: Video quailty details

2Mbps would be less than 720P, I believe.

I'm not sure there's any way to tell, specifically because of the way adaptive streaming works.. If the word "1080P" or "720P" was burnt into the video you were watching, maybe you could tell, but your Roku only knows what resolution you're at, not what quality of video that streams to your box.

Not only that, but different quality of encoding can yield different results.. Sometimes a 720P Amazon title will look better than an identical 720P Netflix title that was encoded poorly, or vice-versa.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, and I could be very wrong on this Smiley LOL
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Video quailty details

kbps is not an indicator of 1080/720/480p. You could have a horrible looking low quality 1080p encode at a very low bitrate. The Debug options screen is a legacy leftover and is not usually a good indicator of the actual bitrate, either, and can cause playback issues in and of itself if debug is left enabled.

- Joel
0 Kudos