Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ionatan
Roku Guru

Video content - allowed languages

Which are the allowed languages for video content? In "Add Public Channel" form there are only 4 languages: French, German, English, Spanish. Is it allowed to add video content in different languages?
Thanks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
bandal
Visitor

Re: Video content - allowed languages

If DishWorld and Roku agree in writing you can. I was given approval for VOD, but no Live Linear TV. On the 4 it may be because that's the areas of language covered mainly where Roku is sold. Plus, the manifest file can support these languages if needed from a selection.
DA
0 Kudos
ionatan
Roku Guru

I'm asking this because I'm working now to a Roku Channel on which video content will be grouped in categories based on language (English, Spanish, Russian), for some languages the videos are dubbed and for some the videos are subtitled. I'm wondering if this is allowed, to use different languages in the same channel.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

It is allowed to use whatever languages you want, however, if it is produced (recorded) outside the USA, regardless of the languages used, or if it contains non-English language content regardless of where it was created, it will be subject to approval by DISHWorld if you want to publish to the USA and Canada. Otherwise it will restricted to publication only in UK, Ireland and Rest of World unless DISHWorld grants a waiver.

This applies to both public and private channels.

- Joel
0 Kudos
ionatan
Roku Guru

Ok, thanks! And what about the case when the audio of the videos is in English and the videos are subtitled in a different language (Spanish)? Is this a "non-English" content?
0 Kudos