Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astudios
Channel Surfer

Re: Video coming across and stretching

I agree. I hope this is fixed ASAP. We would love to turn on HLS to stream our videos.

Not to confuse things even more, but we are finding that our HLS-streamed videos seem to cut off after 17 minutes (or thereabouts) no matter what video we try. Very annoying. It seems that something's definitely wrong with ROKU's HLS implementation. I can't seem to find the problem anywhere else.

Steven

"ianbeyer" wrote:
For what it's worth, the HLS stream is rendering properly on iDevices, so the resolution data is present and correct. It looks like Roku is either misreading or ignoring this data.
0 Kudos
asbillo
Visitor

I am also experiencing the stretching on my 4x3 TV. My image is taller than it is wide, so everyone looks like they are in an old Kung Fu movie. Everything seems skinny and stretched. I am using the Roku2 XDS with the VGA inputs going to my 4x3 TV. At first I thought it was my TV, but then I had a huge revelation when I plugged in my XBOX360 into the same TV via VGA and Netfilx played at perfect 1:1 aspect ratio. No stretching, no nothing, just pure pristine DVD quality 4:3.

As a creator of broadcast TV promos and commercials myself, I am a perfectionist of the image. I know when I'm seeing incorrect Aspect Ratio's. I literally can't stand to watch my Roku because of this problem. I am a bit obsessive compulsive in this regard, and it just ruins the experience for me. Instead of enjoying movies on my couch, I find myself creeping back into the computer room to stream my Netfilx.

Which completely SUCKS! I got a Roku so I wouldn't have to do that. I would love any suggestions as well. Can't wait till they fix this so I can get back to enjoying my Roku again.

any suggestions? What is this =Mp4 stream thing all about??

Thanks.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"asbillo" wrote:
I am using the Roku2 XDS..

I assume you mean Roku 2 XS since there is no Roku 2 XD|S. The aspect ratio problem is a known issue and a fix is in the works.

"asbillo" wrote:
What is this =Mp4 stream thing all about??

I don't understand the question.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos