Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

Video RAM in SD mode compared to HD mode

We've noticed that the available video RAM is different in SD mode compared to HD mode. In SD, we see ~18MB available, in HD mode we see ~22MB available for allocation of bitmaps. I can understand that there might need to be a little more allocated when booting into HD mode, but it would be nice form our perspective to have the full amount available in either mode.

For example, we may have a project coming up that uses a LOT of video ram to simulate rotation, and the extra 3-4 MB would be useful for units running in SD mode.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Video RAM in SD mode compared to HD mode

So I take it you find the rotation support in 3.0 to be inadequate. Maybe a better request would be for adequate support (if it's possible given the hardware).

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
So I take it you find the rotation support in 3.0 to be inadequate. Maybe a better request would be for adequate support (if it's possible given the hardware).

Already done through other channels. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's not going to happen before 3.0 launch, and I don't know how long if ever until they would have time after that.

Rotation in the 3.0 firmware is limited to 90 degree increments, which is less than idea, and also not particularly fast. We decided to ship the desired images pre-rotated in 5 degree increments from 0-85 degrees in an image map, and use the map lookup plus a 90 degree increment rotation so we can achieve any 5 degree increment we need. It goes without saying this uses significantly more video memory for the image map bitmaps...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I was going down the same road before I got sidetracked by other things. I was hoping by the time I got back to it the multiple image approach wouldn't be necessary.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos