Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shshchch
Visitor

Using TVersity/ffdshow with Roku/My Media

I'm wondering with the advancements of projects like "My Media" allowing to stream local/networked content to the Roku if there is a way to somehow integrate TVersity in to enable Hulu watching? I'm not too sure of the details but it seems as if TVersity transcodes the media it provides using something called ffdshow? So maybe if it was possible to somehow make the tversity server available to the roku, it could transcode videos to a format recognized/playable by the roku.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
KennyJ
Roku Guru

Re: Using TVersity/ffdshow with Roku/My Media

"shshchch" wrote:
I'm wondering with the advancements of projects like "My Media" allowing to stream local/networked content to the Roku if there is a way to somehow integrate TVersity in to enable Hulu watching? I'm not too sure of the details but it seems as if TVersity transcodes the media it provides using something called ffdshow? So maybe if it was possible to somehow make the tversity server available to the roku, it could transcode videos to a format recognized/playable by the roku.

I tried to get the TVersity transcoding to work for the Roku and couldn't get it to work. I think it's difficult to transcode to mpeg4/h.264 on the fly.
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"KennyJ" wrote:
"shshchch" wrote:

I tried to get the TVersity transcoding to work for the Roku and couldn't get it to work. I think it's difficult to transcode to mpeg4/h.264 on the fly.

Did you try transcoding to WMV9? That may be another option.
0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"mkolby" wrote:
"KennyJ" wrote:
"shshchch" wrote:

Did you try transcoding to WMV9? That may be another option.

I probably don't know what I'm doing, but I remember trying to use one of the device presets which included WMV transcoding and I couldn't get it to work. I'm not that technically inclined. I'd love to see if someone could figure this out.

I was able to successfully use TVersity as a media server though. I played compatible files without a problem.
0 Kudos
shshchch
Visitor

I'm assuming if it is at all possible, the developer(s) of the My Media channel/project would be able to integrate/use it easiest since it seems to be the closest thing to accessing shared media, i'm just hoping these two technologies can somehow work together, I assume only they or other developers that have released similar projects would know. Or if maybe integration with tversity wasn't possible, I believe that it is powered by ffdshow as far as converting/transcoding works and there may be more options in that software alone. If there is just a way to somehow link the My Media server to the tversity server, tversity seems to be able to transcode anything into several different formats, sizes, etc. within the settings.
0 Kudos
rainlake
Visitor

RokuMarkn said they will support http live streaming in next release.

"shshchch" wrote:
I'm assuming if it is at all possible, the developer(s) of the My Media channel/project would be able to integrate/use it easiest since it seems to be the closest thing to accessing shared media, i'm just hoping these two technologies can somehow work together, I assume only they or other developers that have released similar projects would know. Or if maybe integration with tversity wasn't possible, I believe that it is powered by ffdshow as far as converting/transcoding works and there may be more options in that software alone. If there is just a way to somehow link the My Media server to the tversity server, tversity seems to be able to transcode anything into several different formats, sizes, etc. within the settings.
0 Kudos
shshchch
Visitor

"rainlake" wrote:

"shshchch" wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how http live streaming is related or necessary?
0 Kudos
rainlake
Visitor

http live streaming makes it possible to real transcode with mencoder or ffmpeg
"shshchch" wrote:
"rainlake" wrote:

"shshchch" wrote:

I'm not sure I understand how http live streaming is related or necessary?
0 Kudos
shshchch
Visitor

Also found this page through the tversity website. Maybe until Roku enables dlna/upnp there is no way of this working, but I have a hard time believing that it's impossible especially with the workarounds lately to get shared media on the Roku.

0 Kudos
KennyJ
Roku Guru

"shshchch" wrote:

Maybe until Roku enables dlna/upnp there is no way of this working, but I have a hard time believing that it's impossible especially with the workarounds lately to get shared media on the Roku.

TVersity already works with Roku.

0 Kudos