Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: User Named Roku

Bump, Roku*.
Should i start a new topic on this with a formal write-up to be considered?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Also, related to this is how Roku player advertises itself (through DIAL?) so that casting can be done from YouTube in browser. Right now it says: '''Play on
  • This computer

• Roku Streaming Player 1GH999999999

• Roku Streaming Player 13A999999999
'''
Ditto in iOS, except first item is "iPhone". It would appear players identify themselves as "Roku Streaming Player" + SerNo. It is tempting (I know, i went through that phase) - while not necessarily sane - to force users remember each players S/N to distinguish them. But the decent thing to do is give them the name they chose on player registration.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

You can add my name to the list of those who would like to see the user's device name (the one listed under 'My linked devices'/'Name' on https://owner.roku.com/), returned in the <friendlyName> element when querying the Roku's port 8060.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thank you, oh Great Roku in the Sky!
<friendlyName> has been updated to contain player's "proper name" in fw >= 5.6, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70614&p=459463#p459443

Fingers crossed, the DIAL casting name may also get the treatment.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Is this what you wanted ?

http://x.x.x.x:8060/dial/dd.xml
<friendlyName>My Roku 4</friendlyName>
<serviceType>urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1</serviceType>
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"greubel" wrote:
Is this what you wanted ?

Oh, i am just a simple country Hyper-Chicken. All i want in life is that "machines should work and people should think" 8-)

Here expectation was for YouTube mobile app to show the proper-names when choosing where to cast to. I tried earlier today on iPhone and it was still saying "Roku Streaming Player 13A999999999". But now that you showed xml, i took a guess the app might be caching the historical name. So i deleted YouTube app and re-installed it. Lo and behold, the humane name showed now. Odd. It must be caching and to benefit, people may have to reinstall (or restart).

We can conclude that DIAL has got friendlyNames in fw 5.6+ too!
Much rejoicing.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Thank you, oh Great Roku in the Sky!
<friendlyName> has been updated to contain player's "proper name" in fw >= 5.6, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=70614&p=459463#p459443

Probably worth unofficially documenting here the current behavior: if user has not given name to the player at https://owner.roku.com/ , friendlyName will default to model + S/N, concatenated with a dash. In shell speak,
friendlyName = "$modelName - $serialNumber"
0 Kudos