Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greubel
Visitor

User Named Roku

Is there anyway to retrieve what the user named his box from the account page ?
Need a way to refer to multiple Roku boxes. It would be nice to use the name that the account holder set it to. That would be more meaningful to him than using the Roku serial number.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: User Named Roku

"greubel" wrote:
Is there anyway to retrieve what the user named his box from the account page ?
Need a way to refer to multiple Roku boxes. It would be nice to use the name that the account holder set it to. That would be more meaningful to him than using the Roku serial number.

My understanding is that RokuCo's smartphone apps use web service to fetch list of players and properties (IP, name) but i don't think they will open it to developers since it uses login authentication. I don't think each box even "knows" its own name. It would of course be nice if that name gets returned as part of the UPNP description, namely <friendlyName/> but someone has to implement it.

Hack: I used last 4 digits of the serial number in my iOS app for auto-naming the players, after some deliberation in the next version it will be only the last 2 digits. I pondered using only 1 digit but the probability of collision increases fast with increase number of players (10% for 2, 28% for 3, 50% for 4). I also mused auto-naming players Mr.White, Mr.Brown, Mr.Pink... but at the end balked.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Redoing my viewed history method to provide separate lists based on the boxes and the ability to view the list remotely. Some users have vast video libraries with multiple boxes and viewers. They would like to know if different users/boxes have completed watching a movie, so they can shuffle out a movie to a different folder. Just looked at my serial numbers and I have all the platforms and three of them, the last 2 digits are 1 apart. So the chances are, you could have duplicates.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
I don't think each box even "knows" its own name.

It does. It's listed under the "Settings->About" icon.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

Yes, but how can a dev get at it ?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"greubel" wrote:
Yes, but how can a dev get at it ?

You can't. I was just pointing out that the box does know it, so it seems like it would be pretty trivial to add it to the UPnP discovery XML.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Wat? It doesn't on mine. Here is list of what i get there:
Roku account
Model number
Serial number
Software version
Roku support
Network name
IP address
Ethernet MAC address
Wireless MAC address
MicroSD Card

For some reason last one is special, it gets to capitalize second word... dedication to Orson Scott Card? Shouldn't it be "Micro O.S.Card" though. But i digress.

Fingers crossed: if the player knows the name, it will be such an easy "REP" favor to ask for, to get it as <friendlyName/>.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:

Wat? It doesn't on mine. Here is list of what i get there:
Roku account
Model number
Serial number
Software version
Roku support
Network name
IP address
Ethernet MAC address
Wireless MAC address
MicroSD Card (for some reason this one is special, it gets to capitalize second word.. dedication to [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card]Orson Scott Card[/url]? but then shouldn't it be MicroOS Card)

No, under the Icon itself, not on the About page (i.e., before you actually select "About").
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
No, under the Icon itself, not on the About page (i.e., before you actually select "About").

Oh wow, it sure is there. You know why i missed it? my players are (mostly) named after the specific model-name, this one had a given name of "Roku 2 XS". Gah.

Well that's fabulous, let's pop the champagne and start asking for this easy fix to UPnP descriptor!
Also can we get thread topic changed to something less ambiguous, say "Fetching Roku player friendly name"; when i saw the subject "User Named Roku", i thought there was forum user named "Roku" that's screwing up something (admittedly, curiosity made me peak inside)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Fingers crossed: if the player knows the name, it will be such an easy "REP" favor to ask for, to get it as <friendlyName/>.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Well that's fabulous, let's pop the champagne and start asking for this easy fix to UPnP descriptor!

*@RokuCo, soo... will you fix the UPnP descriptor to show the user-assigned name under <root><device><friendlyName/>?
I feel silly writing detailed proposal on something that is described in one line.

I got reminded of this thing today, when trying "AllCast" on Android and it showed me 3 entries, all named "Roku Streaming Player" - with no way to check which is what (there is no info or IP to hint). And to make it extra hard, it refreshes the list on each return to that screen, so tough i you remembered it was the player from the 2nd line that you want, it's a new game each time. I bet it uses that descriptor, probably under auspices of world's first antibacterial soap
0 Kudos