Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Use ECP or port 8080 to change channels on RokuTV

So I saw this thread in the general forum and it occurred to me that it would be awesome if you could send the Roku TV to a particular OTA channel using ECP or one of the port 8080 press commands. Then belltown could update his great What's On channel to be an interactive program guide that one could browse and then go directly to the desired OTA channel with the press of a button. There's press *t to go to the tuner, but it doesn't look like you can specify a channel and I didn't see anything in the ECP documentation that would help. Did I miss something?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Use ECP or port 8080 to change channels on RokuTV

"renojim" wrote:
So I saw this thread in the general forum and it occurred to me that it would be awesome if you could send the Roku TV to a particular OTA channel using ECP or one of the port 8080 press commands. Then belltown could update his great What's On channel to be an interactive program guide that one could browse and then go directly to the desired OTA channel with the press of a button. There's press *t to go to the tuner, but it doesn't look like you can specify a channel and I didn't see anything in the ECP documentation that would help. Did I miss something?

-JT

Definitely a possibility if there's a way to ECP to a Roku TV channel, although you'd still need a way to map the channel identifiers that What's On uses to the channel ids used by the Roku TV.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

It was proposed earlier, yet to hear a comment https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=93039
It would have to be "tvinput.dtv" being amenable to ECP /input

"renojim" wrote:
There's press *t to go to the tuner, but it doesn't look like you can specify a channel

Wait... "press *t" - where does that come from?
0 Kudos
renojim

if you telnet to port 8080 and then enter press, you'll see a list of available commands.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

Just found roTuner. I really need to read those release notes more often. I haven't played with it, but it seems like it would be trivial to create an EPG "channel". It should probably be part of the Roku TV built-in apps.

I'm not having any luck at getting any program data out of it (roProgramData.GetNowNextPrograms() gives "member function not found"), but it looks promising.

-JT

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
if you telnet to port 8080 and then enter press, you'll see a list of available commands.

>press
h Home
u Up
d Down
r Right
l Left
s Select
f,> Fwd
b,< Rev
p Play
y InstantReplay
i Info
k Back
= Backspace
o PlayOnly
t Stop
e Enter
a A
c B
n Closed Caption
? Search
[ Volume Down
] Volume Up
\ Volume Mute
~ Input Source
` Input Source Prev
*123vt Input HDMI1-3, AV, Tuner
x1-x9 Partner1 - Partner9
xA-xN Partner10 - Partner23
! Power
@ PowerOn
# PowerOff
.ibmfwrec change source type: i=IR,b=BT,m=MHL,f=FP,
w=WD(Wifi),r=IR_RF(T3),
e=ECP,c=CEC
The default is IR

Wow that is new! It was not there before.
Man, Roku is like treasure hunt - ostensibly more challenging than http://www.pythonchallenge.com/index.php

A tune-to-number command there won't be of help though, 8080 is only active for developer mode'd devices. Nor will roTuner be of help. Instead, it's the "tvinput.dtv" (pseudo)app that should be made receptive to ECP /keypress. Keypress and not /input because that way all remote apps with keyboard support (and http://remoku.tv ) "suddenly" could be used to dial RokuTV channel#. "'Tis a miracle". Or maybe the Co has done that already and holding back?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Use of the debug server 'press' command is not a supported technique for production purposes.

Some relevant documentation has just been added regarding ECP support on Roku TV devices.

On Roku TV, you can launch the TV input UI using the ECP launch command. For example launch/tvinput.dtv, launch/tvinput.hdmi1, etc.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-launch/appID

You can also use the ECP keypress command in some cases, e.g. keypress/InputTuner, keypress/InputHDMI1, etc.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-KeypressKeyValue...

To launch the TV input UI tuned to a particular TV channel, you can use launch/tvinput.dtv&ch=<CHANNEL_NUMBER>.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-launch/tvinput.d...

You can query the list of available TV channels using query/tv-channels.
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-query/tv-channel...
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide#ExternalControlGuide-query/tv-channel...
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

OTA channel info is interesting!
Which firmware do these ECP extensions for RokuTV apply to? 7.0, 7.1 ...

Also, i don't see the ability to change channel while inside tvinput.dtv by punching digits ?
The one thing people have been asking for?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
OTA channel info is interesting!
Which firmware do these ECP extensions for RokuTV apply to? 7.0, 7.1 ...

It applies to all Roku TV releases.

"EnTerr" wrote:

Also, i don't see the ability to change channel while inside tvinput.dtv by punching digits ?

I'm not sure if you are talking about a proposed UI feature, or the ECP feature.
The ECP launch command can be used to change TV channel while inside tvinput.dtv.

(The ECP input command can be used as well).
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
I'm not sure if you are talking about a proposed UI feature, or the ECP feature.

It doesn't matter! 🙂
Ok, so it matters a little, i'll get into that - but the thing people were asking was to be able to "dial" into a channel by punching numbers. Regardless if on universal IR remote or/and on remote app - they'll take it either way.

So yes, (A) best case scenario would be if there is a UI element to it, where digits input into RokuTV will show up - and a long pause (or Enter) the tvinput.dtv will switch to that channel. Just like regular TV or satellite/cable box reacts to IR remote. Notice i haven't mentioned "ECP" in this paragraph - it should as well work with the IR digit codes of the respective manufacturers (i believe RokuTV listens for different IR codes for TCL vs Hisense - and i presume it's from their customary "code page" - at least it's not the same codes as Roku boxes use). So, in a perfect world any kind of input will do - both taking advantage of universal IR remote numpad, as well as ECP. Or HDMI CEC, if there were MHL stick with a tuner.

(B) The minimum use case is for tvinput.dtv to just do that for /keypress/Lit_[0-9.]|Enter , w/o any UI element. Easy-peasy. And the beauty of it - again - is that nobody will need to update their remote app for this to work! Let's go with an example, a popular J/S remote: http://remoku.tv/ being able to "dial" channel# as-is, w/o any changes to the site.

Just like the beauty of the "apps" tvinput.dtv, tvinput.hdmi1, tvinput.hdmi2 that suddenly appeared in /query/apps and magically started to work in my remote app! I never extolled the elegance of this - but yes! - it is clever, works well and hurt nobody. Praises to whomever came with it! I was double happy - that my app did not crap out because of the new type of entry AND because it suddenly could control RokuTV inputs! "Magic!" 🙂 And so could ECP (and later IR) dial by channel# - sans need to explicitly document even.

The minimum case (B) might be a stepping stone towards the full, "best case" implementation (A). Or not. That's why i said "it doesn't matter". It can be incremental thing (or not).

The ECP launch command can be used to change TV channel while inside tvinput.dtv.
Ha! Well that's new. The behavior of ECP i know is that /launch/FOO gets wholesale ignored if FOO is already running.

(The ECP input command can be used as well).
This is news too. Undocumented but i'll take it 8-)
0 Kudos