Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deafnet
Visitor

Upon set up channel, how much to pay Roku for using it?

Hi,
I am in process to set up Channel via Roku, curious how much does Roku charge me for erect channel?
Example:
A) non-paid subscribution (free channel)

B) Paid subscribution channel
Thank you...
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
campbellwang
Visitor

Re: Upon set up channel, how much to pay Roku for using it?

Nothing, Nothing at all (ohh err)[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-kezGy8Vs]
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
deafnet
Visitor

"campbellwang" wrote:
Nothing, Nothing at all (ohh err)[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-kezGy8Vs]

Are you serious about nothing to pay??
0 Kudos
campbellwang
Visitor

It's true. Poeple have not realised how good Rokus' business model is.

When I first spoke to Roku about developing for their box they were like, "Yeah sure go ahead".
I kept on asking about costs. They kept on saying we are a Hardware company you can develop at no cost.
I was like, Yeah!! :idea: (Light light bulb moment).

It's like they have this quarry where you are allowed to dig for gold yourself. You need to bring your own tools and labour. Like anything when you dig hard and long enough in the right area you will find the gold. Many will not make it but never the less there is gold in them their hills. 😉
CDNOne.com | CDNTwo.com
0 Kudos
deafnet
Visitor

Ok Ok I got IT!! I'll put my sweat equity on it!!
There are so many pages of Roku SDK (PDF files) that need to be print out, so that i can read and learn how to set up...
Thank you!
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"campbellwang" wrote:
Poeple have not realised how good Rokus' business model is.

Hardware sales are not a sustainable business model since Roku-type capability is built into TV's and pretty much all new BD DVD players now. The best that they can hope for is to get a share of a dwindling legacy market for those who have older equipment, but even then there are new competitors (e.g. Popbox, Boxee). I was just Googling for a quote I saw a few days ago from someone at Roku who seemed to indicate that they foresee giving the hardware away and using a subscription model. In order to do that, they would seriously need to nurture content-producers like us, but even then I don't see how that can fly unless they can persuade hardware manufacturers to include their firmware in their products; as far as I'm aware, none of the major manufacturers is doing this. The Roku player is probably the coolest device that I've acquired in the past several years and I hope they succeed in what they're trying to pull off, but make no mistake that the current situation is fluid,
0 Kudos
dvo01
Visitor

"bbefilms" wrote:
"campbellwang" wrote:
Poeple have not realised how good Rokus' business model is.

Hardware sales are not a sustainable business model since Roku-type capability is built into TV's and pretty much all new BD DVD players now. The best that they can hope for is to get a share of a dwindling legacy market for those who have older equipment, but even then there are new competitors (e.g. Popbox, Boxee). I was just Googling for a quote I saw a few days ago from someone at Roku who seemed to indicate that they foresee giving the hardware away and using a subscription model. In order to do that, they would seriously need to nurture content-producers like us, but even then I don't see how that can fly unless they can persuade hardware manufacturers to include their firmware in their products; as far as I'm aware, none of the major manufacturers is doing this. The Roku player is probably the coolest device that I've acquired in the past several years and I hope they succeed in what they're trying to pull off, but make no mistake that the current situation is fluid,

There was a quote a while ago that said that Roku made a profit on each box so they may have a cushion before the hardware sales can't sustain them.
0 Kudos