Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsfilms
Visitor

Uploading a private channel

Having a issue uploading a private channel. I fill out all the info and art work and add a vanity code click next and browse and select my zip file click save and then nothing happens. i went to the add private channel page and put in the vanity code and that didnt work so I put in the generated channel code and that worked to add it to my roku channel list but when i go to my channel list it says it cannot access it or something like that and it will try again when my box syncs to my account.

any idea??
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Visitor

Re: Uploading a private channel

A couple of things jump out at me. 1) Vanity codes only work for published channels, whether public or private. 2) You need to upload the package, not the zip file. The package is generated and signed on your development box.
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

Ok. I missed that. I thought u only needed to do that when u were submitting for review for a public channel. Thanks!
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
A couple of things jump out at me. 1) Vanity codes only work for published channels, whether public or private. 2) You need to upload the package, not the zip file. The package is generated and signed on your development box.

Ok, I have to ask. What's the purpose of a vanity code on a public published channel? Won't it show up in the channel store within a week? Is it just for the time between when it's published and it makes it to the channel store? It seems like a vanity code for a public channel would be much more useful for beta testers before it's published.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"RokuPatrick" wrote:

Ok, I have to ask. What's the purpose of a vanity code on a public published channel? Won't it show up in the channel store within a week? Is it just for the time between when it's published and it makes it to the channel store? It seems like a vanity code for a public channel would be much more useful for beta testers before it's published.

-JT

Yes, a published public channel will show up in the Channel Store once approved, but the link allows someone to add a channel even when away from the TV. One can imagine an web-based channel store with 'click to add to my Roku's home screen' functionality. Or a website allowing users to add their channel, public or private, directly from the website or newsletter/email. Will it be used for a majority of public channels? Probably not, but it's still a nice-to-have.
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

ok so I just got home and looked at the SDK guide for uploading a channel and is says on page 33:
"There will be 3 separate files required to complete you channel addition. The first is a zip file of your channel application. The second and third are called Poster HD and Poster SD and are the HD and SD versions of the home page icon."

Am I missing something? You said I need to upload the package not the zip?

thanks

-j
0 Kudos
nowhereman
Visitor

"dsfilms" wrote:
ok so I just got home and looked at the SDK guide for uploading a channel and is says on page 33:
"There will be 3 separate files required to complete you channel addition. The first is a zip file of your channel application. The second and third are called Poster HD and Poster SD and are the HD and SD versions of the home page icon."

Am I missing something? You said I need to upload the package not the zip?

thanks

-j

packaging your channel is covered in the document RokuDvp-ChannelPackagingAndPublishing.pdf. particularly section 3
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

The zip is used for development and local testing. Once you're ready to deploy through the developer site, you'll need to sign the zip to generate a package.

Patrick
0 Kudos
dsfilms
Visitor

found it right after i made that last post, was a bit confusing because of what I had found in the last post in another document. I was able to successfully package it after several tries, some reason it just would not take the password but finally did after about 10 tries.

everythign looks good but still do not see the channel on the box, I tried backing out and going back in like the guide says but its not there guess I need to to wait to see if it pops up.

thanks for the help.
0 Kudos