Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Astfgl
Visitor

Unit testing on Roku?

Hi, we got bored from tedious unit testing on Roku, particularly on large projects. That is why we developed this tool MAMUT ( mamuttool.com ).

What do you think of it? Do you have experience with any other unit testing system for Roku?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Re: Unit testing on Roku?

This looks cool. I'm not thrilled about running a node.js server, but I guess that's par for the course these days. We've been kicking around the idea of writing a test framework here, so I'd love to try this out and see if it meets our needs.
0 Kudos
Astfgl
Visitor

Hi Tim, thanks! Most important for us is to know what do you think of it. Now we are working on a new version which is going to include global server.
0 Kudos
brianstegman
Streaming Star

Roku has a testing frameworking here that I'm thinking about building into my tool http://www.stegmancompany.com/#RokuDashboard
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

has anyone actually used the roku framework? Curious about it.
0 Kudos
Veeta
Visitor

"tim_beynart" wrote:
has anyone actually used the roku framework? Curious about it.

Yes.  It works fairly well.  Comparable in features to the older brstest but a little better set up to manage test suites for related tests.  Also supports SG component testing though I haven't used it for that.
0 Kudos
Astfgl
Visitor

Had any one tried some testing system which supports continuous integration? We are considering it in Mamut right now.
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

How would you do automation with Roku? There's no virtualization for Roku OS, so you have to test on a physical device. We use precommit hooks to run tests on the developer's machine before they commit to git, but that is not ideal. 
0 Kudos
Astfgl
Visitor

"tim_beynart" wrote:
How would you do automation with Roku? There's no virtualization for Roku OS, so you have to test on a physical device. We use precommit hooks to run tests on the developer's machine before they commit to git, but that is not ideal. 

Roku devices are always necessary, but the server allows to distribute packages with tests, run it and collect the results from those devices. Tim, you are probably not using Unit tests in this way right?
0 Kudos
kishigo
Visitor

Has anyone tested Roku tasks with the unit test framework?  I haven't been able to figure out how to fit the scenario of starting a task where the result comes back later in an observed event callback into the unit test framework.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos