Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Unique Channel Store Name

"pcnweb" wrote:
Email sent, but I'm rapidly losing faith in Roku as a viable platform with these kind of simplistic issues.

Well, for some reason RokuCo still sees themselves as a boutique, as a niche platform - seems they are okay if things in the dev.portal are broken, because a human can fix it up for you behind the scenes - instead of having the self-service kiosk working.

It is well-known the Co's webbers are danger to the society - specifically over the last 2 years, when they re-invented and re-implemented something that did not need fixing. The October update demonstrated again that a 0 (zero) QA is being done for the web. I take solace in the thought that the "web team" is something completely different from the "core team"
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

DAY 3: No reply in this forum, the LinkedIn Dev group, the developer email, or Dev Twitter - is Roku a dead development platform?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"pcnweb" wrote:
DAY 3: No reply in this forum, the LinkedIn Dev group, the developer email, or Dev Twitter - is Roku a dead development platform?

No, it's just that dev.support are very good at hiding. You should be emailing them daily - by my estimate 90% of emails remain unanswered.
I see you are tenacious, that's good - you'll make it through. Who's still around, let's see... try PM RokuTomC here?
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

PM sent, thanks for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

DAY 6 UPDATE: No response from any channel, now including PMs to Roku employees here on the forum, can someone explain what has gone catastrophically wrong at Roku in terms of support? I'm inundated on a daily basis by their Marketing team to take their Platform/How We Doing? survey, which I assume will just be thrown in the trash since they don't care how they are doing.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

One can only change the public facing name - via the various localized name fields, use English for English speaking localization. The name you created the channel under will still be there. The only way as I understand it to change the name on all sides (both what the public sees and what you see) is to delete the channel and recreate it. The name you create it with is a unique field in our database.

For technical issues, best bet for support is an email to developer@roku.com

- Joel
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

Thanks to someone from Roku finally replying. I had to inform test users, then delete the private channel, then the name became available as you explained. Notes:

1. It should never take this long to get an answer to a non-complicated question.
2. The channel name should not be used as a unique name on Roku's side. Any combination of the entered name + hash of the user account info (email, username, etc) should be used instead. As it is now, anyone could squat on any unused name by making a private channel.
3. I would hazard a guess that many first time users would name their private channel the name they intend to use for the public channel - a big warning on the creation screen might be in order. And probably a more precise message on the public creation screen, ie: "Your public channel name is already in use by your private channel - delete the private channel to continue."
0 Kudos