Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

Unique Channel Store Name

I have a private channel (in use with testers) that I just changed the name by adding "Test", as I need to use the name for the Public channel. Previous answers in the forum said Roku support had to change the name, but now the interface allows it, although I still get this error:

"Roku requires that names for channels within the Channel Store are unique. The name you have selected for your channel is not available. Please select a different name."

Do I just need to wait awhile until the Private name is free (10-15 minutes?) or is this a direct intervention from a Roku tech issue still?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Unique Channel Store Name

To my knowledge, one has always been able to change the channel name - so that part is not new.

I thought the check is real-time, so there shouldn't be a delay. Can you clearly describe your situation, i am not sure i get it? E.g.
(1) had pvt channel named A 
(2) renamed A to "A test" - that worked
(3) trying to create public channel "A" fails now, showing such-and-such error

What answers in the forum say that "Roku support had to change the name"?
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

The #1-3 steps you outlined are the issue, exactly - step #3 fails with:

"Roku requires that names for channels within the Channel Store are unique. The name you have selected for your channel is not available. Please select a different name"

Old post suggesting Roku devs had to change it:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=45323
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I thought RokuJoel was referring there to swapping two names A <-> B.
I have always ass-umed that one can do it manually through "temp variable", i.e. rename A -> C, B -> A, C -> B
But maybe not. Looking forward to hear what says Roku* ...
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

I just tried again - same error - is there some other forum/email/etc I should be contacting to get this resolved?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I remember some similar problems. Try renaming the private channel to something that doesn't have your desired name in it at all. If you can't get it to stick make the changes and upload a pkg for that channel ( it can be the current one)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the reply - I just tried that and no joy, same error as above.

Please Roku, what do I have to do to "fix" this?
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

OK, this still doesn't work today - where do I need to contact to get an actual Roku employee to fix this?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"pcnweb" wrote:
OK, this still doesn't work today - where do I need to contact to get an actual Roku employee to fix this?

In theory, developer at roku.com
0 Kudos
pcnweb
Channel Surfer

Email sent, but I'm rapidly losing faith in Roku as a viable platform with these kind of simplistic issues.
0 Kudos