Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roquoonewbie
Visitor

Re: Uninstalling a Hidden Channel

Right Mark...I think just adding a Main() function which simply points to the RunScreenSaver() function is all that is needed to make the Screensaver externally callable.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"roquoonewbie" wrote:
Anyway, I just threw my own channel together to test all this. This is how I set the screen to black. Is that the same method you used? ...

I image this works as well:
scr = CreateObject("roScreen")
scr.Clear(0) 'suspenders - just in case
0 Kudos
roquoonewbie
Visitor

And back to my question in the original post. If a channel is defined as hidden via the manifest, how do you ever uninstall it? Or is it stuck on the box permanently with no way to ever remove it?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I thought the screensaver documentation was pretty clear on this (at least it was intended to be). Please let me know what is unclear about this description and I'll fix it.
A screensaver is just a channel which has a function named RunScreenSaver. It may or may not also have a RunUserInterface (or Main) function like normal channels. If it does not, it is a "pure" screensaver and appears only in the list of screensavers and not on the Roku Home screen. If it has a RunUserInterface (or Main) function in addition to RunScreenSaver, then it will appear both in the list of screensavers and on the Home screen.

On careful read, that part is quite clear! It lays the ground rules, i'd say.
The exceptions to that are not as clear though. I.e. when there is a "hidden" screensaver and/or a "hidden" channel. The "Private screensavers" section IMHO will benefit by mentioning how exactly can a SS be marked as private.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
I thought the screensaver documentation was pretty clear on this (at least it was intended to be). Please let me know what is unclear about this description and I'll fix it.

C'mon Mark, you know only EnTerr reads the documentation. Smiley LOL I wasn't attempting to comment on the quality, or lack thereof, of the documentation on screensavers. Just giving my observations/remembrances. Sorry if I offended any Roku folks.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"roquoonewbie" wrote:
Anyway, I just threw my own channel together to test all this. This is how I set the screen to black. Is that the same method you used?

s=CreateObject("roScreen")
bm=CreateObject("roBitmap", {width:1280, height: 720, alphaenable: false} )
bm.Clear(&h000000FF)
s.DrawObject(0,0, bm)

I use an image canvas. Here's the whole RunScreenSaver:
Sub RunScreenSaver()
color = RegGet("color","BlackSS")
if color = invalid then color = "Black"

ss = CreateObject("roImageCanvas")
if color = "Black" then
hexcolor = "#FF000000"
else
hexcolor = "#FF0000FF"
end if
ss.SetLayer(0, {Color:hexcolor, CompositionMode:"Source"})
ss.Show()
while true
sleep(1000)
end while
End Sub

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"EnTerr" wrote:
Btw, in my /query/screensavers i notice <screensaver id="1861"/>, no name listed. It also shows as an empty line in Settings / Screensaver list. What could it its issue, maybe lacking `screensaver_title` manifestation? That's CLOC (v2.2 2014-12-03) i believe.

That's weird. That is CLOC, but the title in the manifest is "LED Time & Weather" (don't ask me why it's not CLOC). In my screensaver query and in settings/screensavers on my Roku 3 it shows up properly. What device/firmware do you have?

By the way, I just tried the query/screensavers on my N1000 and it doesn't work at all. I guess this was added to >3.x firmware.

-JT

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"renojim" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Btw, in my /query/screensavers i notice <screensaver id="1861"/>, no name listed. It also shows as an empty line in Settings / Screensaver list. What could it its issue, maybe lacking `screensaver_title` manifestation? That's CLOC (v2.2 2014-12-03) i believe.

That's weird. That is CLOC, but the title in the manifest is "LED Time & Weather" (don't ask me why it's not CLOC). In my screensaver query and in settings/screensavers on my Roku 3 it shows up properly. What device/firmware do you have?

It is beyond weird even - since after restart on a RokuTV i see not CLOC but another screensaver - 55545 ("Default screensaver") lose its name and show an empty line in Settings/Screensavers - and no name in /query/screensavers.

I had a theory it must be the "&" in the "LED Time & Weather" name but the problem never happened for "LED Time & Weather (p)" channel you recommended separately. I don't think this has anything to do with firmware versions since it has been happening for many months (possibly years).

Okay, i think i figured a sequence to reproduce:
  1. Restart the player (i do it from Settings > System [> Power] > System Restart). Do this first!

2. Wait for the player to start. Continue before the screensaver kicks in.

3. Check /query/screensavers, look for an entry with no name

4. Using the remote, under Settings > Screensaver check the list, there should be an empty line - that's the no-name SS

If you do "Preview" or "Custom settings" on the unnamed SS, that tends to fix the issue observed in (3) and (4). Which is the SS set as active does not seem to make a difference on which SS loses name. On a #3100 model i have 11 SS and 1861 has no name; on a #5000 the SS list has 12 entries (has the bonus "Power Saver") and the invisible name is 55545 - so maybe the number of SS has something to do.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:

C'mon Mark, you know only EnTerr reads the documentation. Smiley LOL I wasn't attempting to comment on the quality, or lack thereof, of the documentation on screensavers. Just giving my observations/remembrances. Sorry if I offended any Roku folks.

No offense taken. I was a little puzzled when EnTerr himself said he "wished he knew" the answer, which I thought was clearly documented. I'll add some text to clarify the corner cases.

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:

No offense taken. I was a little puzzled when EnTerr himself said he "wished he knew" the answer, which I thought was clearly documented. I'll add some text to clarify the corner cases.

I, errr... "mis-spoke" on that one, sorry! I agreed in followup msg, documentation is clear on what's the criteria to recognize a screen-saver entry. I was rather thinking about the manifest attribute "hidden" and its relation to the screensavers, since that was the topic subject. Btw, please - anybody is welcome to tell me go RTFM when there is a "TFM". I like having docs because my memory sucks (as demonstrated), unlike the endless memory of others 🙂

@RokuMarkn - i like the way you write documentation, it's concise! Reminds me of a refresher course on compilers i took @Coursera a few years ago, by Alex Aiken @Stanford. Need to read carefully, sometimes re-read scrutinizing the assignments text. But you know when your read it you can "take it to the bank", there is no imprecise language and sloppiness. Alas not all documentation is written by the same person and is not as exact (i even have a "least favorite" writer to watch out for).
0 Kudos