Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: URL help

"belltown" wrote:
Are you using roUrlTransfer or HD/SDPosterUrl, etc?

All the graphics are using TextureManager. I've also been just pulling files with URLtransfer to check if they work in the same situations, and they don't. The app has been working fine with USB for more than a year. I added the NAS access about 4 months ago, and it all worked fine.

One odd thing - I do as i said above and attempt to download a file to tmp and show it on screen once all the auth/indexing is done. the response on the get is 200, which is successful right? Although i'm not sure which part of the process is indicated to be a success by that.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
I've also been just pulling files with URLtransfer to check if they work in the same situations, and they don't.

What error code/message have you been getting with roUrlTransfer?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Heh. See above post.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:

How about if you open it in "incognito"/"private" browser window - does it work outright or does it force you to login first? If the latter, means it worked for you in the browser because you had previous session opened and it sends some cookies with each request.

I did do this. You have to paste in the Auth url, that comes back successful, then paste the graphic url. This worked in Chrome in regular and extra-incognito mode.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

The next thing I would try is to use an image that is known to work.

Try using this url instead of the one you posted, and see if the image appears:

http://avatarbox.net/avatars/img13//army_squirrel_avatar_picture_45955.jpg?api=SYNO.FileStation.Download&version=2&method=download&path=/video/2010.jpg&mode=open&sid=e3kYlfOEenT8A14B0MNN453413

It works on my Roku, both when using roUrlTransfer, and when using the image url directly in an roPosterScreen. I retrieving it using the Texture Manager as well with no errors.

Whether or not it works should give you more information about what's going on. It's probably not the url format though because the one I gave you which works looks like it's in the same format as the one you've been using.

Also, just because your roUrlTransfer returned a 200 code, it doesn't mean that it retrieved an image; you'd have to dump out the data (use the debugger) to see if it looks like it's in jpeg format, or something else (like a text string telling you what's going on).
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"belltown" wrote:
The next thing I would try is to use an image that is known to work.

Try using this url instead of the one you posted, and see if the image appears:

Also, just because your roUrlTransfer returned a 200 code, it doesn't mean that it retrieved an image; you'd have to dump out the data (use the debugger) to see if it looks like it's in jpeg format, or something else (like a text string telling you what's going on).

Hey I didn't know they made helmets that small! Good to know for the occasional hailstorm. Yea i'm testing the URLs with URL transfer pretty regular, it's all coming in fine except this one way, which should work.

The problem with this problem is that it seems like I'm doing the right things, the app works gangbusters when it can get the files, the Roku does what it should except for this instance. The Syno API is new, but it works fine with the browser. I'm going to get it, but just not sure how at this point.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

The fun of problem solving: When you've eliminated a bunch of possibilities, all that's left is a bunch of other possibilities.
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:

Mark, with the authorization requirement, I don't see how you can duplicate my setup without a Synology NAS on 6.0. I was sort of hoping for some obvious url error I wasn't seeing.

Normally the "invalid URL" error comes from parsing the URL, before it sends anything out on the network. I'd expect it to happen independently of whether there's actually a Synology or anything else at that address. However something more complicated could be happening, like the Synology returning a redirect to another URL which the Roku thinks is invalid. If you change the URL to just replace the IP address with an address that doesn't exist on your LAN, do you get the same error?

--Mark
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Actually i am doing the log-in and using it. First you do the Auth, and you get a session id. then you attach that to every request. So next i get the list of files and that is fine. If you look at my first post, you'll see it.

In the URL i see you are passing "sid" when RTFM says you should pass "_sid". Underscore in front of sid, yes?

Also i am suspicious about the use of "mode=download" instead of "mode=open", since that changes `Content-Type` and sends `Content-Disposition` header in response - and i don't know if that will affect Roku's behavior (no reason to but `open` seems safer).
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: URL help(solved)

"EnTerr" wrote:
Underscore in front of sid, yes?

Also i am suspicious about the use of "mode=download" instead of "mode=open", since that changes `Content-Type` and sends `Content-Disposition` header in response - and i don't know if that will affect Roku's behavior (no reason to but `open` seems safer).

Winner!!! You of the eagle eye has saved me again. Never underestimate the under-score, that was it. A silly typo. Luckily I only have to show my avatars face.

As for the open/download thing, now that i have it running i can test, but i expect it to only work with "open". Synology seems to have taken the old Sharing API and split it into Sharing and Download API's. I'm not clear on the usefulness of Sharing now, because it just puts up a "download" button.

Thanks EnTerr, and RokuMarkn and belltown too, appreciate it.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos