Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Turn off debugger

"greubel" wrote:
What about these guys ?
How to turn Sky's £10 Now TV box into a networked media player with Plex, RARflix and MediaBrowser http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/08/sky-now-tv-plex/

I don't think Plex are promoting side-loading, are they? Or even directly benefiting ($) if someone does it.
All they have done it seems is open-source the channel "for the betterment of mankind". Ostensibly, you can do the same 🙂

You should understand things are not cut-and-dried here. The inconvenient process of side-loading, the limit of one app, the fact that in practical terms one has to open their source (by allowing .zip but not encrypted .pkg) - those raise the barrier both to users and developers to a level that makes (i presume) RokuCo and BSkyB comfortable enough that their business model won't be circumvented. Now if side-loading starts getting "abused" en masse, BSkyB can just ask RokuCo to remove that feature from Saruman the White. Which will be a lose-lose outcome.

But isn't there a way to apply for BSkyB to include your channel in their lineup? Maybe with RokuCo's assistance, i won't be surprised if they advise BSkyB on which. You are Chaneru, right? As a local-media viewing solution, it shouldn't endanger their interests - and one can argue it will complement their offering...
0 Kudos