Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svm1998
Visitor

Trying to find low cost entry to have 2 channels developed

I hope i am not breaking any forum rules. Please tell me where to post this if this is not the correct place.

We are a small distribution company with less than 50 films to start with. i would like to have 2 roku channels. 1 channel for cult, horror, action, etc and 1 channel for regular drama, docs, etc.

we are aggressively signing new films but right now cannot afford the higher prices some of the developers charge. i have found 2 low cost options so far but wanted to get input from the pros out there on how good they are or if you have any other suggestions.

1) AdRise - no cost for development/entry, but takes 50% revenue share. must have a certain number of films(100 i believe) to have your own channel, until then, films are on their ADC channel
2) Instant Roku Channel - Cloud-Based Channel Production System. http://www.instanttvchannel.com/ but still need to find 3rd party storage to host files. would need to find the most affordable storage

does anybody have any other low cost entry suggestions.
i would like to go with a company that also provides storage with the service if possible.

Thank you again to anybody who can give me some advice.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
adrisetv
Visitor

Re: Trying to find low cost entry to have 2 channels develop

A bit more info about how adrise works with content owners:

We pay for all app development and hosting/streaming costs. Moreover, our value is that we get your content onto other connected device platforms (game consoles, smart TVs, and streaming boxes like Roku). We then monetize with high CPM ads, and if appropriate, rentals. We do have some rules since we have to figure out which content partners to provide our free services.

1. We require you have enough content to launch with as well as add to the app over time since we want the apps to be 'living apps' in the sense that the user is going to come back to the app continuously over time. They do that if they know the app will get more content over time.
2. We do a 50/50 rev share but we take on all the costs plus we don't try to recoup our costs against your share.
3. We provide deep analytics and there's no 'lock-in' period with us since you can walk away at any time.

Here's more info about our services: http://bit.ly/14GU96q

"svm1998" wrote:
I hope i am not breaking any forum rules. Please tell me where to post this if this is not the correct place.

We are a small distribution company with less than 50 films to start with. i would like to have 2 roku channels. 1 channel for cult, horror, action, etc and 1 channel for regular drama, docs, etc.

we are aggressively signing new films but right now cannot afford the higher prices some of the developers charge. i have found 2 low cost options so far but wanted to get input from the pros out there on how good they are or if you have any other suggestions.

1) AdRise - no cost for development/entry, but takes 50% revenue share. must have a certain number of films(100 i believe) to have your own channel, until then, films are on their ADC channel
2) Instant Roku Channel - Cloud-Based Channel Production System. http://www.instanttvchannel.com/ but still need to find 3rd party storage to host files. would need to find the most affordable storage

does anybody have any other low cost entry suggestions.
i would like to go with a company that also provides storage with the service if possible.

Thank you again to anybody who can give me some advice.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

And here's how Instant TV Channel works:

Instant TV Channel provides cloud-based editing tools that allow developers and content owners to build and maintain Roku channels. Prices range from $0 to $49.95 per month per channel. If you want to monetize your channel with video ads you'll need a $49.95 per month channel. You can bring any 3rd-party storage system / CDN to the table that you wish. If your content is primarily VOD you then should look at a Vimeo "Pro" account. If your content is primarily live then ScaleEngine is an excellent choice.

1. Instant TV Channel has no requirements regarding the amount of content in your Roku channel, although the more content you have the more successful your channel is likely to be.
2. You keep 100% of all ad revenue from your channel.
3. Industry-standard Google Analytics is integrated into your channel, providing complex reports that can be exported in spreadsheet format.
4. There's no lock-in period with Instant TV Channel, you can walk away at any time.
5. Multiple ad vendors can be used in your channel simultaneously, including Vidillion, YuMe, Liverail, Flingo/Samba, and others.
6. Sophisticated automatic playback, sequencing, and real-time scheduling features are available for any channel.
7. You are not limited to one or two cookie-cutter-style channel layouts. Your channel design can be a simple or as complex as you like. Horizontal, vertical, and grid elements can be combined in a single channel. Multiple channels can be linked together.

Here's a direct link to set up a free account with Instant TV Channel: http://www.InstantTvChannel.com
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
degt
Channel Surfer

I am confused about #InstantTVChannel . I want to try some channel creation, primarly for low traffic to see how it goes. Their free account says "100% cloud based, no server needed"  then a few lines below it contradicts itself with "Stream from any public web server, hosting service, storage system, or content delivery network dire..." so what is it? do they get me a limited cloud to host something, or do I need to get myself a server?

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

You should post this question to @OddScott on his site at InstantTVChannel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

@degt The "no server needed" refers to not needing a server to host and manage your Roku channel's metadata (channel layout, stream URLs, poster URLs, colors, message text, and so on), and if you are using video ads in your channel you don't need to use a video ad server.

Neither Instant TV Channel nor Roku Inc hosts your videos or images for your Roku channel. Instead Instant TV Channel allows you to use any content delivery networks or image hosting services that you wish. You can even use multiple CDNs or images hosting services within the same channel.

Hosting your videos on a single server is probably a bad idea, at least for a public Roku channel where you expect to have a significant number of viewers watching it at the same time. Even a small channel with only a few dozen simultaneous viewers can strain a typical dedicated server, and you don't even want to try it using a shared server on a web hosting service. Instead you should be looking for a content delivery network or online video provider. These are companies that specialize in delivering video streams by deploying your video content across large numbers of geographically dispersed servers.

As @Baradanikto suggests, you can email me directly (scott@InstantTvChannel.com) for more information, or call the support number on the Instant TV Channel website.

www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos