Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Trickplay and BIF Files

It's been a long time since I ran benchmarking on this old computer, anyway, on my outdated i7-4770K at 3.5 Ghz from 2013, it took me 32 seconds here.  Generally we use cloud services to do this stuff now and it's faster, but if your existing process is taking you minutes to do it then this will really help save you time in the future.
I don't know how long these files will be available so you will want to grab them now rather than later - for windows 64bit only..

https://www.ultraflix.com/Bif_File_Tool_BDS_v2.zip

READ THE README.TXT FILE

https://www.ultraflix.com/Bif_Creation.mp4
-- 32 seconds for a 20,000 leagues under the sea, 2:06:55, 320 x 240 HD Bif file, making 760 jpgs, combining into a bif file of 3.7 MB in size
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks! Downloaded. I'll give it a try when I get a chance. I really only create BIFs for my own use and decided long ago that I really don't see the value, but that may be because they took so much effort/time to create. If they're easy enough and fast enough to create I may start using them for my WTV recordings (repackaged into MKVs) to more easily get past the commercials.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
islanddreamer
Channel Surfer

@destruk, I tried following your readme file, but I'm doing something wrong. The script runs completely and seems to work, but the BIF files end up 1KB and are empty. I didn't have a problem generating the BIF manually following the notes in one of the comments above. Any idea what I may need to change in the makebif.bat?
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Remove spaces from your filename or add quotes around the filename.  a 1KB bif file means the header is there but no images.
0 Kudos
Pongalo
Channel Surfer

@destruk, that didn't work.

I think the error is in this script line: VirtualDub.Open(VirtualDub.params[0],"",0);

Here's the error the CLI reports: Error during script execution at line 1, column 37: string is not an integer number

fre=Sylia.Atoi(VirtualDub.params[2])<!>*10;
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

Yeah, if your video framerate is something 'special' then you correct it in makebif.bat as the frame decimation only works if the framerate in the routine is set to an integer.
if "%myvar%"=="23.894" (set myvar=24)
if "%myvar%"=="23.976" (set myvar=24)
if "%myvar%"=="29.970" (set myvar=30)

What funky framerate are you trying to use?
0 Kudos
Pongalo
Channel Surfer

My video frame rate is 29.97.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

That is in the batch file already - you have mediainfo in your path creating the file to set the variable? You can still create bif files with virtualdub manually if you can't seem to get the batch file to work on your system anyway.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

What if you, on your system, add a line after the 
if "%myvar%"=="23.894" (set myvar=24)
if "%myvar%"=="23.976" (set myvar=24)
if "%myvar%"=="29.970" (set myvar=30)

set myvar=30

To force it to 30, and see if that works, or maybe add if "%myvar%"=="29.97" (set myvar=30) to account for a slightly different handling on your install? I don't think I'll be able to go over every single thing that could be wrong, but those were just ideas.[/font]
0 Kudos
Pongalo
Channel Surfer

I think that did the trick! Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos