Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredlynn
Visitor

Transaction ID Life Cycle for Roku In-Channel Purchases

Suppose I have a monthly In-channel purchase (ICP) subscription transaction with an ID like: 025b48e1-5174-6343-94e2-a1e30817b458. Later, if my server calls the Roku Web service and finds out that the expiration date on the transaction has passed, can I assume that the transaction/subscription for that ID is permanently canceled? If the credit card has failed, is possible for that transaction (025b48e1-5174-6343-94e2-a1e30817b458) might later get updated to be in good standing?

Put another way, I'd like to know if canceled or failed transactions, which I store in my database, should just be marked as canceled and not checked again, of should I keep checking to see if I should allow the customer to continue accessing his/her subscription? For other payment processors, once a profile is "canceled," it permanently goes away. For those processors, a brand new transaction must be established. I want to know if I should include business login in my code that can revive a payment profile (i.e., the same transaction ID) when the user is paying via a Roku in-channel purchase.

Thanks in advance for the help.
5 REPLIES 5
bbrouse
Visitor

Re: Transaction ID Life Cycle for Roku In-Channel Purchases

Bumping this because I was about to post the same question.

Did you happen to figure this out or no?
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

good question, I'll forward to our billing services people and let you know what they say.

- Joel
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Ok, so I had to write this down as it was told to me, let me know if you need anything clarified:

"Web API:
Developer can use transaction id to verify that transaction is still active.
Using the API they can give us latest or original transaction id and find out if it is valid

Push notifications:
On developer website, you can enroll in new push notifications feature and we will tell them every event that happens and reference original transaction.

If subscription cancelled and expired, and user starts a new subscription there will be a new transaction id.
We also provide an account identifier that can be used to link user account to new transaction.

When use signs up in your transact flow are make sure you are set up to identify the user so you can correlate the transactions with the account identifier. "

Hope that helps,

- Joel
0 Kudos
bbrouse
Visitor

Is there any documentation on the push notifications right now? If not, do you intend on documenting it's behavior?
0 Kudos
brkattk
Visitor

I'm using the API to validate that a transaction is still active.

When I get the API response, what is the best way to tell whether it is active? Should I always go by the expirationDate, or would it be either expired or cancelled?
0 Kudos