Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirmeili
Visitor

Trademark usage

I can't seem to find a way to contact Roku directly, so I will try asking here.

I have written a plugin for my home automation software that I'm preparing to release which uses the External Control APIs. My preliminary name is "MeiliRoku" (which follows the theme of my other plugins of Meili[Text]). I'm worried this might cause trademark issues with Roku, which I don't want.

Also, I would like to use the Roku Logo, which I think I'm ok with, but I'm not sure. I would not be altering the Logo to include the "Meili" as I'm really sure that is not acceptable. But for the icon I was going to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
sirmeili
Visitor

Re: Trademark usage

So, after reading more carefully through the trademark guildlines (), this part stuck out at me:

You may not use any name or trademark confusingly similar to the Roku Design Marks or any other Roku Mark.  You may not use any Roku Mark in such proximity to any of your own trademarks or third party trademarks so as to create a combination or composite mark.  You may not combine any Roku Mark with your own or other third party trademark to create a telescoped mark or "mash-up" of the two (or more) marks.

So, I guess this puts a squash on my name. So my question is, those that use the ECP, how do you name your products in a way that is concise yet lets your potential users know that your product is for controlling a Roku?
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Meiliku? There's already something called a Remoku which I believe is a remote app for the Roku.
0 Kudos
sirmeili
Visitor

HA! My wife said almost the same exact thing (Meiku) That's kind of a good idea, but wasn't sure if it was still a "mashup" according to Roku. I have 4 rokus in my house and love them and hence why I wrote the plugin. I wanted to integrated it into my HA system and give others the opportunity to do the same. I just don't want to upset or cause any issue with my name. I guess maybe MeiliKu or MeiKu might be the best alternative, though I still think that causes more confusion about what it is than my original name. I have no fear that people will think I'm associated with or competing against Roku. I'm trying to expand their functionality into at least small part of the Home Automation market 🙂

Thank you for the suggestion. 
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

It is a mashup but far removed, so i doubt they will prosecute (it'd be preposterous to go after words that use "ku" in them).
I think you are also safe if you use name like "Meili for Roku" because that is fdescriptive, truthful and does not imply association with the product maker, i.e. won't cause confusion / brand dilution. Say you made a special bracket to mount Roku behind TVs, compare how it sounds "Roku Stand" sounds like something the Co would make, where "Stand for Roku" is generic. I remember Netflix had some guidelines to that extent. And yes - the Roku logo is protected, so you should follow the guidelines they give if including it anywhere.
0 Kudos