Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
winningsheen
Visitor

Top Level Category Listing - Additional Show Info

Hi,
I'm new here so I'm not sure of the posting etiquette. I've been working with the videoplayer example and I've gotten pretty far with customization (thanks to everyone on this forum). I do have a question about adding additional information from the XML file to the side scrolling top level category view page. Say I wanted to add the actors and the release date, how can I do that? Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
destruk
Streaming Star

Re: Top Level Category Listing - Additional Show Info

For a poster screen, I think the only two default fields that show up are shortdescriptionline1 and shortdescriptionline2 - and the amount of text visible varies on the resolution of the roku device in the settings menu. As long as you merge whatever data you want to append into those two fields, you have a chance of seeing it on the rendered display. Or you could put a little information into the breadcrumb area for the screen in the top right corner and refresh/show() the page again to display the updated info. The only other user-defined content is the ad banner - which you could have your server generate dynamically and try to show the page again with the new url. None of these solutions is 'pretty' or easy.
0 Kudos
winningsheen
Visitor

I guess that makes sense but it's still limited. I did develop a custom CMS using PHP and MYSQL that lets the user control what shows up. I guess I can setup an additional table to add shortdescriptionline2 but the top banner ad seems like a pain. Thanks for your help, I'll see what I can do.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

If you use the "flat-episodic" or "flat-episodic-16x9" style for the roPosterScreen, you can add an additional Description field, but it has some other limitations based on which you choose (and possibly the ListDisplayMode set). You can see an example of that style in the Netflix channel, under "Choose a different episode" or in the iTunes Podcasts channel (see my signature) under any podcast.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
destruk
Streaming Star

Hey, there you go. We never use those screens for their intended purpose. 🙂
0 Kudos
winningsheen
Visitor

Cool. I just tried both of those and it pulls in the full synopsis, which could work. Arced-landscape looks pretty good though and the whole synopsis might be too much info but I'm getting somewhere! 😛 Thanks for all your help.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

You might also consider the grid screen. That would let you display several bits of data in the info bubble including description, rating, release date, and I think a few others.
0 Kudos
winningsheen
Visitor

Thanks Chris. I'll try out the grid screen.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.