Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BadgerBoy
Visitor

The Ads aren't playing on my channel

So I've used http://www.instanttvchannel.com, to start teaching myself how to develop a ROKU Channel. So far it's working pretty good, limitations for a free account notwithstanding.

Right now, it is a private channel.

But the ads aren't playing. I've opted to use the preroll ads, so they should be playing right at the start of the video after it's selected, or so I think.

I've followed these instructions:

http://www.instanttvchannel.com/roku/staging

But the ads aren't playing. Is there anything else I might be missing? Setting in my online Roku account by chance?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

EDIT: as an aside, do I get paid for ads through my Roku account? I guess I'm not really clear as to how that works.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Ads aren't playing on my channel

I think you need to contact whomever is behind instanttvchannel.com. They have nothing to do with Roku and even if you were using the Roku Ad Framework (RAF), which I doubt they are, you wouldn't be paid through your Roku developer account. Keep in mind, I know nothing about instanttvchannel.com, but I do have experience with RAF.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Thanks for the reply JT. This is from the website's instructions:

IncludeRAF - This parameter must be set to "True" in order to use the Roku Advertising Framework (RAF) to display video ads in your Roku channel. If this paramater is changed you must repackage the channel and then re-upload the Pkg file to your Roku Developer Account. RAF is not compatible with legacy (2011 and earlier) Roku devices which are no longer supported by Roku.

I set the parameter to True.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You still need to ask instanttvchannel.com. You can use RAF with a third party ad service, but then Roku isn't involved in filling the ad slots and certainly isn't involved in any payment. I think there's a lot more work that needs to be done other than just setting the parameter to true.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
BadgerBoy
Visitor

Yeah, I did and basically I have to upgrade from a free channel to get ads.
0 Kudos
JeffHaas
Visitor

You also need to secure the services of an ad network to serve the ads. The InstantTV parameters makes it possible to serve ads but they don't just show up on their own.
~Jeff
0 Kudos
MaddyGTV
Visitor

Your channel (Private or not) will not support advertising on InstantTVChannel until you upgrade
to the "Commercial" Option.

Plus - Jeff is right.

You need to secure the services of an Ad Provider before you see ads.
MaddyGTV Streaming Networks
Find us on Roku in 'Special Interest' or ask for us in 'Search'
0 Kudos