Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PositivePeak
Visitor

Text On Screen

Can anyone help me understand the TextOverLay component and how to use it with the Daviant Art example? I have read the SDK and tried 100 different ways to add the command but cannot. I am trying to import the info from a php file (http://www.abigailradio.com/Abigail/demo.php) that parses the SONGTITLE field of a Shoutcast stream. I was hoping to overlay this info in the DA example. I just really need to know what code to add and where to add it to get this to work. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

dave
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
PositivePeak
Visitor

Re: Text On Screen

anyone?

(sound of crickets)

lol
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

I've never looked closely at the Deviant Art example specifically. To implement the text overlay features of roSlideshow, you would need to call the SetTextOverlayVisible() function of your roSlideshow object with an argument of true. Then you would need to make sure that the content-meta-data objects you're displaying with that roSlideshow object are populated with values for one or more of these attributes: textOverlayUL, textOverlayUR, and textOverlayBody.
0 Kudos
PositivePeak
Visitor

Thanks Chris-

Does this look right? I cant get it to work....

Function DisplaySetup(port as object)
slideshow = CreateObject("roSlideShow")
slideshow.SetMessagePort(port)
slideshow.SetUnderscan(5.0) ' shrink pictures by 5% to show a little bit of border (no overscan)
slideshow.SetBorderColor("#000000")
slideshow.SetMaxUpscale(8.0)
slideshow.SetDisplayMode("best-fit")
slideshow.SetPeriod(9)
slideshow.SetTextOverlayVisible(true)
slideshow.Show()
return slideshow
End Function

and

Sub DisplayUserFavorites()
slideshow = DisplaySetup(m.port)
photolist=m.GetPhotoListFromFeed("http://backend.deviantart.com/rss.xml?q=favby%3Alolly%2F359519")
pictitle=m.TextOverlayBody("text here")
m.DisplaySlideShow(slideshow, photolist, pictitle)
End Sub

As always, I apologize for my lack of depth in getting this. If I do get it, I will be bringing some great content to our Rokus....
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

The content meta data parameters that the overlay uses on the roSlideShow component are:

TextOverlayUL
TextOverlayUR
TextOverlayBody

Make sure to set the values you desire for each slide.... It doesn't look like your code snippet here does that. The assignment is probably part of your GetPhotoListFromFeed() function below:

photolist=m.GetPhotoListFromFeed("http://backend.deviantart.com/rss.xml?q=favby%3Alolly%2F359519")

With values included in the xml feed.

--kevin
0 Kudos
PositivePeak
Visitor

Thank you Kevin- I think the problem I have is knowing how to format the comand. I want to put TxetOverlayBody in the roSlideShow function- but I am not sure where and how to code it. Is it just "TexOverlayBody = "Hi there" or something else. Do I need to put the "slideshow." prefix on it in that function? By values, I assume you mean the "Hi there"? Or should that text ciome from somewhere else?

If I only had an example to see in the sdk....

I would also need to place "setTextOverlayVisible(true)" somewhere. I have no idea where though.

Thank you so much for al your help.

Dave
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

Each element in your photolist is an associative array of these content metadata values....

So you could set one like so:

photolist[0].TextOverlayBody = "Brian Wilson holding World Series Trophy"

--Kevin
0 Kudos
PositivePeak
Visitor

thank- I am going to try that tonight...

as for the setTextOverlayVisible(true) ... is it formatted right? should this go on the xml?

Also, while we are talking about xmls, I am experimenting a little with xspf files on our server, will they work with roku? same headers as xmls and can be generated each session.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

setTextOverlayVisible(true) is an roSlideShow method. It is formatted correctly, and does not go in the xml.

The roku understands .m3u8 files, but not xspf.

--Kevin
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Just to be clear -- brightscript can PARSE xspf files, since they are just a type of XML. You could parse the xspf yourself and play the files individually (with buffering between each file). But if you want to pass in a playlist and have the video player play all the files in sequence, you need to use m3u8 (HLS).

--Mark
0 Kudos