Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cyberon97
Visitor

TV Guide For Roku

is it possible for someone to make a tv guide app for tv's that dont have a built in guide lots of people would love this feature including me 😄
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
malloys
Visitor

Re: TV Guide For Roku

Interesting idea and do-able... but there's a hitch:

Most tv program data sources are licensed, not free, and they're fairly expensive to license most of the time.
Screen-scraping web sites with the data is usually a violation of the terms of use, and it's a fragile approach anyway.

There is 1 possibility that wouldn't burden the developer financially, but it does shift the cost of the data to the user.
Someone would have to develop a free/open source app and get "Schedules Direct" to approve it.
Assuming the app was approved, the user would then have to sign up for a Schedules Direct membership ($20/year) to get the actual tv program data.

So this raises the question - would you or other users be willing to pay the $20/year for the data if someone developed the app and made it free?
0 Kudos
debro1114
Visitor

I would be willing to pay $20/year for a tv guide
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

While its an interesting idea, I'm not sure of the practicallity of it. Afterall, if you browse the guide to find what you want, you'd then have to memorize the channel number, switch inputs to your "TV" device, then change the channel. It just doesn't seem very pratical.

As for costs, I think there are few sites that used to allow pay access to their apis (titan TV and zap2it IIRC). Not sure if they still do or not.
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Are you referring to a guide for cable/satellite or OTA transmissions? Don't all cable/satellite providers provide guides built into their STB devices? If it's OTA, that actually sounds interesting, and maybe we can find guide data without paying for a huge set of data that doesn't really apply...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

zap2it.com (boy have they grown up since the last time I checked them out!) used to charge a nominal fee for local guide listings, and they offered a full blown API for accessing them. I believe Microsoft even licensed it for their Windows Media Center TV listings. I can't seem to find any information on their site anymore, though... :? This URL found via Google would seem to suggest it still exists... http://api.zap2it.com/channelfinder/versus/
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
tboneus
Visitor

Yes, I too thought of zap2it. They used to provide data for a tv card and If I recall they could be used in xbmc.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewforum.php?f=8
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"tboneus" wrote:
Yes, I too thought of zap2it. They used to provide data for a tv card and If I recall they could be used in xbmc.

Tribune Media Services, which is Zap2it's parent company, pulled the plug on "Zap2it labs" and it's free tv schedule data and web API in September of 2007.
That's why the Schedules Direct non-profit was formed by some of the MythTV (and related projects) folks - to act as a replacement for the now-defunct Zap2it labs api.
They license the data from Tribune Media Services, and pay for it through membership subscriptions ( http://www.schedulesdirect.org/aboutus )
0 Kudos
cyberon97
Visitor

On my tv I don't have to exit the input to change channel I just enter the channel number I have an older tv a CRT tv and a HDTV so I want it for my CRT tv
0 Kudos