Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsromeo
Channel Surfer

TESTING APP OFFLINE?

Hi-

Is there any way to test an app offline without an internet connection but instead being connected to a local server? It seems that the player always seeks the internet connection at start up. Is there a special mode we can put the box in to bypass that and test offline?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: TESTING APP OFFLINE?

I thought it tested the box every time it starts loading a stream? You can run the roku 'offline' with the USB channel and a USB stick connected, or you can set up your own LAN server with chaneru or a few other 'steam from pc' solutions. Or you can set up your own Apache client and write a channel to pull video from the apache directory.
0 Kudos
rsromeo
Channel Surfer

What I'm looking to do is run a Roku app offline. I'm not looking for just an offline streaming solution. I want my Roku channel app to work offline without internet using local server connection. Instead of the player pointing to my usual URL, I want to change it to my local server's IP. This is necessary to demo the channel at trade shows. I need a fully functional channel working off a local connection rather than internet.
0 Kudos
dynamitemedia
Binge Watcher

That i agree is a great feature, in fact i would use this and just delete all the channels and use only my private channel.

what would be nice is to have roku start up a channel right away, so if i plug in or lose power would automatically start the channel back up, i want to use as a sort of digital signage solution

Great post rsRomeo
Twitter: iptvmyway facebook: iptvmyay
Channels: Warriors of War, Go Fight Live, Heading Outdoorz, IPTVmyway
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

Isn't this just a manner of coding your channel to fall back to a local IP you've defined, or submitting a special private version that uses a local IP? Worst case, you could just side-load a version that uses a local server, right?

As for the channel load on start, I'm pretty sure Roku has stated before it doesn't fit with what their target audience desires, so I doubt they'll put much effort into it.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
rsromeo
Channel Surfer

Thanks guys. I figured it out. I actually had the Roku pointing to the local IP but it wasn't making the connection. So then I thought perhaps, it was the firewall blocking me. So I turned off the firewall and bingo! It Works like a charm now - thanks!
0 Kudos