Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful conversion of VideoPlayer Sample App to Grid

Has anyone successfully converted the VideoPlayer Sample App to a grid format and would be willing to share?

I have searched and while many people have asked before there didn't seem to be a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
RobSMS
Visitor

Re: Successful conversion of VideoPlayer Sample App to Grid

I have done it for a client, but it was a lot of extra work. You would probably be better off just learning the basics of building an app, then building a grid based one from scratch.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos

Thank you for the feedback RobSMS. I am sure I would be better off learning the basics but I figured if someone had already done this task it would prevent me from having to reinvent the wheel.

I have already successfully submitted a videoplayer based app, I just wanted to get it in a grid format.
0 Kudos
RobSMS
Visitor

There is a grid based example out there, but it uses MRSS instead of XML to deliver content. Might be an option for you.
Need Apps Templates? Content Management for OTT/IPTV? Check me out @ http://rovidx.com
0 Kudos

Thank you RobSMS. Could you point me to the latest version of the MRSS Grid Template App? I searched online and found documentation talking about updated versions. Is there one central repository or link for the latest version? Thank you again.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

You could use https://github.com/belltown/Roku-NewVideoPlayer, which supports Roku videoplayer-style feeds, as well as RSS/MRSS/iTunes feeds.

It supports an unlimited number of category levels, the bottom two levels are displayed using an roPosterScreen with a filter banner by default. However, change 2 lines of code in UI.brs, as described in the header comments, and it will use an roGridScreen instead. It should work with your main videoplayer categories file, unless you've made any changes to the videoplayer code.

Feel free to use the code as an example, or even as the basis for your channel. Just don't expect any "support", especially if you aren't willing to do the work it takes to learn how to write your own code.
0 Kudos

Thank you RobSMS and belltown for all your help. I ended up using the MRSS Grid Template. I was able to modify the template for my needs and it looks great.
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

mediadisconnect

did you use the new SDK or the legacy code? i'm interested in doing something similar to what you were asking about. 
0 Kudos

"genepensiero" wrote:
mediadisconnect

did you use the new SDK or the legacy code? i'm interested in doing something similar to what you were asking about. 

I had used the legacy code and everything works great except that Roku will be phasing the code out next year.  I have no interest in learning SceneGraph so just this week I have started converting my app to use the new Direct Publisher.  
0 Kudos
genepensiero
Roku Guru

i switched my channel over to direct publisher. it's not been so smooth for us. we've had a bunch of problems with our live feed disappearing from the channel. i'm looking to switch 'back' to an SDK version, but updated with the new code. 
0 Kudos