Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
islanddreamer
Channel Surfer

Subscription uptake?

Does anyone here have information they'd be willing to share on Roku channel subscription uptake? Judging from my own use case, I would suspect that sub count per channel is very low, but I may be wrong. How are channels promoting themselves to potential subscribers? I suspect monthly churn (the percentage of subs canceling after the first month) is also high. Any insight into real world results would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Subscription uptake?

Your results may vary. Netflix and Hulu are doing very well but they have other revenue streams beside the roku delivery method. This brings up an interesting point - that you might try doing what that guy did with the Apple Store. His "I Am Rich" iPhone app sold for $999.00 and he got 8 people or so to buy it before Apple removed it. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technol ... m-ric.html
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

I suspect that unless you have a way for users to test the waters, they won't want top jump in with a subscription. There's numerous ways that you could allow temporary access to the content, and doing so would probably be a good mechanism to lead people to subscriptions. Some users in the general forum have discussed their want ways to test the content of some of the subscription channels (as well as alternate payment methods, but let's not go there).
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

"kbenson" wrote:
I suspect that unless you have a way for users to test the waters, they won't want to jump in with a subscription.

+1 There is evidence of this on the general user forum.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos