Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runnr_az
Visitor

Strategies for seamlessly looping video content?

Hello!

So... I'm trying to do something kind of dumb and seemingly simple: create a loop of a log burning on a fireplace to make a basic video firelog.

Building off the Custom Video Player, I got a sample up and running. Cool. Looping... no problem... EXCEPT, as you probably know, there's a long lag reloading back to the beginning of the clip.

I tried cutting the length of the clip significantly down to 1.6 mb and packaging it up with the channel, but that didn't help very much... there's still a significant lag.

I know that I could get a Wowza server or something similar and set up a looping endless stream of hot fireplace action, but that exceeds this project's budget of $50... potentially by a lot.

Anyone have any clever ideas for what I can do? There's no audio, so... potentially it could be turned into an animation of some kind, but I'm not sure the best way to approach that. ('Sides, would prefer something simpler...)

Thanks!

-jon
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Strategies for seamlessly looping video content?

Putting the video in the channel is not recommended. The smaller the pkg, the better.

This may not be an ideal solution, but since you're already using roVideoPlayer/roImageCanvas you could take a single frame from the video, save it as an image, and display it whenever the player buffers.
0 Kudos
runnr_az
Visitor

Re: Strategies for seamlessly looping video content?

Yeah... I was kind of thinking that. Seems like the easiest avenue to pursue and might not be super noticeable if I have a longer loop. Not really ideal, though.

Is there any way to optimize a short video's seek time by keeping it completely in memory?
0 Kudos