Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nowhereman
Visitor

Startup Delay with Streaming Audio

As most of you know, I'm building an Internet Radio channel and I've run into some interesting behavior. It seems as though the longer you use the channel, the longer it takes for a given stream to start playing. When you first launch the channel, streams start almost immediately, but after listening to other streams for a while, those same streams can take several seconds and in some cases minutes to start playing. It's almost as if the player is silently playing out any existing buffered data before it will start playing the new stream.

I've experimented with the streambitrates to no avail

I have tried different combinations of calling the AudioPlayer's Stop() and ClearContent() functions between streams with no luck.

I've seen others mention similar behaviors, but I have not seen anyone come up with a fix. Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with the box itself? If the latter, is there a fix coming? And is there any sort of workaround?
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Narsh
Visitor

Re: Startup Delay with Streaming Audio

I've been wondering about this and searching for a fix too. If there is a way to assure the audio plays promptly I hope someone will post the solution here. Do any of the Roku devs have any advice on this issue?
0 Kudos
hotw00
Visitor

I'm stunned there hasn't been a response on this from the Roku team. I'm hoping they've PM'd you about the problem privately.

For all the work you've done on the excellent channels you've been working on I would've expected at least a "We'll PM you" nod from the devs.

Keep up the great work on your channels, by the way. You've turned this device from a wonderful movie machine to an "Oh my God I don't want to live without it" gadget.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Looking into it.
0 Kudos
nowhereman
Visitor

"hotw00" wrote:
I'm stunned there hasn't been a response on this from the Roku team. I'm hoping they've PM'd you about the problem privately.

For all the work you've done on the excellent channels you've been working on I would've expected at least a "We'll PM you" nod from the devs.

Keep up the great work on your channels, by the way. You've turned this device from a wonderful movie machine to an "Oh my God I don't want to live without it" gadget.

Roku did PM me shortly after my original post. They have actually done quite a bit to support and encourage my development efforts.
twitter:nowhereman
http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix
0 Kudos
hotw00
Visitor

"nowhereman" wrote:
"hotw00" wrote:

Roku did PM me shortly after my original post. They have actually done quite a bit to support and encourage my development efforts.

I was hoping that was the case.

Thanks for your contribution to this device/platform, nowhereman. We're enjoying some streaming Whole Wheat Radio via RadioTime on this Saturday morning.

Thanks dev team and Roku management for deciding to build your product with an open model for independent/private channel development!
0 Kudos
Narsh
Visitor

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
Looking into it.

Thank you, Patrick. I hope you will share your findings here for other developers to see as well as in the PMs to nowhereman.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Has this issue been fixed with the latest firmware? I don't see it occurring anymore, but it was kind of intermittent in the first place.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
Has this issue been fixed with the latest firmware? I don't see it occurring anymore, but it was kind of intermittent in the first place.

-JT

It's been improved considerably if not outright fixed.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Thanks. It's definitely much better and like I said I haven't seen a case of buffering taking a long time since the new firmware.

Thanks for your efforts!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos