Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Starting From Scratch - Advice Needed

"kbenson" wrote:
Personally, I think using roImageCanvas for the base and teaching super simple BrightScript techniques on top of that would be good for a tutorial. The canvas object has a really low barrier for starting to use it, and it's easy to have something that visual on the screen in 10-15 lines of code. Throw in a loop or two and some string manipulation to display stuff on the screen, and you can have a really quick tutorial that covers CreateObject(), arrays, functions, and event handling. All the examples are just more complex variations on that.

While I agree that a roImageCanvas tutorial would be worthwhile, I don't think I agree that it makes sense as a base tutorial. 95% of the channels out there don't use the image canvas at all, and I think most of the components in the SDK are designed to make it easy for a developer to write a channel quickly without having to worry about complex UI elements. Using the image canvas as a basic tutorial would probably be more misleading than helpful, IMHO.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
kbenson
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:

While I agree that a roImageCanvas tutorial would be worthwhile, I don't think I agree that it makes sense as a base tutorial. 95% of the channels out there don't use the image canvas at all, and I think most of the components in the SDK are designed to make it easy for a developer to write a channel quickly without having to worry about complex UI elements. Using the image canvas as a basic tutorial would probably be more misleading than helpful, IMHO.

I just meant that quite a few posts are made with questions about how to get started, and many seem to have a hard time applying general programming knowledge to BrightScript. While I agree that the ImageCanvas is probably less useful than a number of other components for the average beginning Roku developer, I also think it's well suited for a tutorial for the following reasons:

• It's very easy to get a simple page displaying in 10 lines of code or less with a colored background.

• It's easy to use simple language control structures to change the display.

• It doesn't require external media or servers to show content (colored boxes are easy)

The goal wouldn't be to get someone a base to use for their channel, but to illustrate how the SDK, Roku and BrightScript work together at a very simple level. After that, reading the BrightScript reference manual or Component guide would hopefully result in better understanding for those having a hard time linking whatever programming experience they have (if they have any) to what's offered by the SDK.

E.g.
part 1: Create a simple channel that displays an orange screen (covers channel upload, Main() function, CreateObject())
part 2: Add a colored box to the display (covers associative arrays)
part 3: Use a loop to draw multiple colored boxes on the screen
part 4: Add a message event handler to add boxes based on remote button presses
part 5: Add another component on top of the ImageCanvas to show the stacking nature of screens
etc.

After a tutorial such as that, it still may be confusing to look at the examples in some cases, but I would expect anyone to understand them with persistence.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
brocker
Visitor

Hey Friends

Just stumbled across this blog today, not a ton of information,but some good starting ground stuff for anyone just starting out: http://blog.defaultroute.com/2010/12/13 ... omment-323

Thanks
Bud
0 Kudos