Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agmark
Visitor

Re: Slow posterScreen navigation

"renojim" wrote:
"agmark" wrote:
With a couple dozen or more of images, my posterscreen is painfully slow. Can anyone help speed things up?
TIA
Mark

It's not the fetching of the images that's the problem; it's the box scaling the images that's so slow. What size are the images you're using for your posters?
-JT

Thanks JT. A quick look at a few of the images served up by the feeds looks like their size is in the 640x360 area. Not small but not huge either. I'm going to go through more of the channel feeds I'm using and see if there are any that are way too big. I'm guessing they're all in that medium sized range. I quess I was hoping there was a way to cache the "resized" images, but apparently not. Bummer. It would be a HUGE performance boost if the box would do that. I suggest that be closely looked at since I assume many developers don't have access to the images being served up.

I've been using the arced-landscape style which uses an HD image at 290x218. The arced-16x9 style uses 385x218. I wonder if that would help any? I'll try it and see.
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

Have you tried using the different SetListDisplayMode options (scale-to-fill, scale-to-fit, zoom-to-fill, photo-fit) to see if the different scaling methods each one uses improves performance with the particular images you're using?
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

For what it's worth, the grid screen doesn't suffer from this problem, so if your channel is easily adaptable to a grid layout, that might be another option.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.