Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishish
Visitor

Sliding Transition between "Screens" using RSG

I am creating an on-boarding experience and want to have a smooth animated slide between one set of nodes in my scene to the other, similar to the how the SceneGraphXMLTutorial does. Each of these "screens" is a step in the onboarding process. However I don't want to have multiple panels in each of these steps, each step takes up the full screen. 

The way to do this is without sliding is just to show/hide the root node of each step screen. But I think the smooth slide transition will be a nice effect.

What is the best way to do this? Should I do custom animation to slide off the whole step to the new, or there an easier way?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
raptor
Channel Surfer

Re: Sliding Transition between "Screens" using RSG

I am not sure I understand exactly what you want since you seem to be disallowing as a solution the thing the API provides to do what you appear to want.  If each step takes a full screen and you like the sliding panel effect between screens, then why not have each step be a panel in a PanelSet with each new panel you add set with panelSize="full" and isFullScreen=true?  This gives you an easy path to as many full screen sliding panels as you need.  Within each panel you can still use the hidden attribute to make things appear at the right point in your process, if you want.  If you want them to appear with some kind of animation, then use an Animation node to control the effect, but if it is the entire screen you want to slide around in a multi-step process a PanelSet is the way to go.
0 Kudos
24i
Streaming Star

For each screen you could create a .xml, like slide.xml that get's filled with some data. If you append those slides to a group that's in the root node, then you could add an animation below that group in the rootnode that will translate this whole group. Then you will have to write some simple logic to set the translation (to the left or to the right) on this animation and start that animation to slide to a different view. Basically just like a slider. 
0 Kudos
ishish
Visitor

Thanks for both replies. Did not know you could make panelSize="full" that might be the way to go and if not will animate my own nodes.
0 Kudos